Deadlines for Portfolio Submission
- Early Action Deadline: November 20
- Regular Decision Deadline: February 1
- Spring Term Freshmen Deadline: October 15 (for new students starting at UMass in spring of the following year)
How to Apply to the BFA and BA Programs in the Department of Art:
Undergraduate admission to the Department of Art is selective; candidates are evaluated on both their creative and academic merits. All students seeking admission to the degree programs in the Department of Art must submit a digital portfolio of 12-15 images of original artwork via SlideRoom. A link to SlideRoom will be available through the Common Application. Please do not send hard-copy portfolios or original artwork to the Department of Art.
Freshman applicants are encouraged to attend the UMass Amherst Fall Visit Days. In addition, prospective applicants can email the department or call (413) 545-6937 for additional information sessions and department tours.
Tips for Submitting your Portfolio:
- There are no specific requirements for media, style, or content; instead, we hope to see evidence of your thoughtfulness, passion, close attention, and careful execution. We value breadth (a wide range of media and content, an experimental spirit) as well as depth (multi-part projects, focused engagement with one idea, theme, or process). Your portfolio should represent your best work and demonstrate independent thought; please do not submit copies of others’ original artwork.
- SlideRoom provides fields for applicants to enter important information about your artwork (including title, media, size, date completed) and a description. The Title field is required; if your piece does not have a title, enter "untitled". The other fields are optional, please fill in as much information as possible to help us understand your work. If your work was an assignment, use the Description field to describe the assignment and how you interpreted it to arrive at this result.
- Time-based submissions (video, audio) should be limited to no more than three items and no longer than five minutes total.
- SlideRoom accepts a broad range of file types and sizes;
- Images up to 5 MB each
- Videos up to 250 MB each, videos may also be linked from YouTube and Vimeo
- Audio up to 30MB each, audio may also be linked from SoundCloud
- 3d digital models linked from SketchFab
- Please do not submit your portfolio as a presentation such as PowerPoint or Keynote or as a PDF binder
- For more help with SlideRoom, including resizing images and video, suggested file types, and other technical questions, please visit the SlideRoom Support page.
Students Without a Portfolio:
Applicants who are interested in becoming Art majors, but who do not currently have a portfolio, can apply to the University with the declared major: Exploratory Track - Humanities and Fine Arts. ET - HFA students who then successfully complete Art 104, as well as Art History 100 and 110, or Art History 115, with a grade of C (2.0) or better, may then apply to become an Art major by submitting a portfolio of work to the Department of Art. For more information please contact The College of Humanities and Fine Arts Advising Center.