As part of a broader campus response to the COVID-19 pandemic, a new UMass Amherst COVID-19 Dashboard was launched last week. The dashboard is designed to empower key stakeholders and our community at large to track public health data.
To ensure a rapid and impactful public health response, UMass Amherst is conducting both asymptomatic and symptomatic virological testing. More information about the COVID-19 testing programs can be found at UMass Amherst COVID-19 Testing Programs.
The COVID-19 dashboard provides the following metrics to continuously monitor and respond to the evolving situation:
- Daily snapshots of all COVID-19 tests performed and new positive cases
- The total number of tests performed since the start of asymptomatic testing on Aug. 7, 2020
- The total number of positive cases since Aug. 7, 2020
- The cumulative and weekly positivity rates, which are important to monitor for any changes in transmission
- The test result turnaround time, as early initiation of case investigation and contact tracing are essential for rapid care of positive cases and prevention of onward transmission
This dashboard incorporates data from a number of sources, all part of the larger campus COVID-19 surveillance and response program. It promotes our transparent process to share information with the campus community. Chancellor Subbaswamy and his leadership team express special thanks Laura Balzer, Andrew Lover and James Peng from the department of biostatistics and epidemiology in SPHHS, who designed and will maintain the dashboard.
Utilizing key metrics from the dashboard, the UMass Amherst Epidemiologic Advisory Committee meets daily to review trends and determine if additional adaptive testing or public health measures are needed to assist with the campus-wide response.