- News & Events
Appendix A: Building Use Policies
1. The Architecture+Design studios are generally open every day, 6am to 2am, for Architecture+Design students engaged in regular university work. This privilege may be revoked at any time. All use of the design studios is subject to the Studio Culture Policy
2. The use of plaster, aerosol spray paints, hand-held torches, toxic resins, is prohibited—except in the spaces specially provided for these purposes in the Studio Arts Building. The spray booths in Studio Arts Building must be used for any project using spray paints and must be used according to posted instructions.
3. Exercise caution when cutting materials with sharp blades. Recycling and the proper disposal of hazardous waste is mandatory.
4. Proper use of studio space is expected. Students are responsible for all costs incurred for painting and/or repair. Misuse of space will result in loss of studio privileges.
5. It is the student’s responsibility to see that all materials are removed from classrooms (including review rooms) at the end of each class period, and that no materials are left in public corridors, lobbies, stairs, or other paths of egress.
6. Most Architecture+Design students enrolled in design studio are provided with studio space. At the end of the term all personal and course materials must be removed from the buildings by the posted deadlines or they will be discarded.
7. Mail for graduate students received by the Program office will be placed in graduate student mailboxes in the Fine Arts Center.
8. Studio workspaces are for groups of people, and it is expected that individuals will respect the need of the group for a good working environment.
9. Smoking and the use of intoxicating liquors in the buildings is prohibited at all times.
10. Students may not use hot plates or other electrical devices in the studios except with special permission.
11. Students may not display in studios pictures, calendars, cartoons, or other material with sexual content that is or may be a form of sexual harassment as defined by UMass Amherst
12. No pets, with the exception of guide or assistance animals.
13. Radios and personal stereos may not be played during scheduled class time. Use cell phones in the hallway
In addition to the above, the following rules apply to all University facilities, including assigned studios:
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings and entryways and within twenty feet of entryways.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited, except when permits are issued in accordance with University policy. Do not bring alcoholic beverages into the Studio Arts Building.
- The use of illegal drugs is prohibited.
- Pets are not allowed inside University buildings.
- Doors to the outside or roof of University buildings may not be propped open.