The terms and conditions of employment for faculty and most staff, including discipline and termination, are covered by the collective bargaining agreements the campus has with the labor organizations that represent these employees.
There are eight bargaining units at the Amherst campus:
- Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP/MTA) - The Faculty unit is represented by Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) which is affiliated with the Massachusetts Teachers Association. This unit represents the faculty and librarians on the Amherst and Boston Campuses (administered by the Provost’s Office)
- Professional Staff Union (PSU/MTA Unit A) - Professional (exempt) staff employees are represented by the Professional Staff Union/Massachusetts Teachers Association (PSU/MTA, Unit A). This union also represents exempt employees on the Boston Campus as well.
- Professional Staff Union (PSU/MTA Unit B) - The PSU Unit B is comprised of supervisors of maintenance staff.
- The American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees Local 1776 (AFSCME) represents maintenance, dining hall, and custodial workers on the Amherst Campus. AFSCME also is the representative for CC temporary employees in Auxiliary Services and Parking Services.
- The University Staff Association, an affiliate of the Massachusetts Teachers Association (USA/MTA), represents clerical and academic technical workers
- The International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Locals 432 B (IBPO B) represents lieutenant and sergeant, and the New England Police Benevolent Association (NEPBA) represents police officers on the Amherst Campus
- The Graduate Employee Organization (GEO), which is an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents graduate student employees (administered by the Graduate School)
- The Postdoctoral Researchers Organizing (PRO), which is also an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents postdoctoral research associates and senior postdoctoral research associates (administered by the Graduate School)
- The Resident Assistants Union/UAW Local 2322 (RA), an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents undergraduate students employed as resident assistants in the residence halls.
The various collective bargaining agreements can be found on the bargaining unit page.
Managers are responsible for administering the employment terms and conditions of the applicable bargaining unit in their respective areas. Contact Nick Marshall or Don Teres in the HR Labor Relations office at 5-2736 if you have staff labor relation questions or issues. Contact John Bryan in Provost's Office at 5-2870 if you have faculty labor relation questions or issues. Contact Susan Chinman in the Graduate School at 5-6131 if you have graduate student employee or post-doctoral employee labor relation questions or issues.