The University of Massachusetts Amherst

Employee Responsibilities Regarding Conduct

University employees are state employees and are subject to the provisions of many state laws regulations and advisories as well as variety of campus policies regarding employee conduct.

Conflict of Interest (State Ethics Commission)
University employees are governed by the state's Conflict of Interest Law Ch. 268A. In general you may not ask for or accept anything worth $50 or more per year from any one with whom you have official dealings, disclose confidential information gained as a public employee, take official action affecting your own financial interest or financial interest of a family member or hold more than one job with the state. The state’s Conflict of Interest Law also requires applicants for University positions to disclose whether they have any relatives working for any state agency. University employees are required to certify annually that they have received the State Ethics Commission’s summary of ethics laws and bi-annually are required to take the State Ethics Commission’s on-line exam. This law governs conduct of state employees and should be reviewed.

Guidelines Governing Political Activity of State Employees
The conflict of interest law has implications for employees regarding their political activities, which includes, but is not necessarily limited to, any activity that is in support of or opposition to a federal, state or local candidate or political party or a state or local ballot question. For detailed information visit the State Ethics Commission website.

Principles of Employee Conduct
University leaders play a key role in assuring that high standards of ethical practice attend to the delivery of services and custody of resources. The university embraces the values expressed in the Principles of Employee Conduct and expects their observance by all employees.

Annual Financial Disclosure
Staff who are designated as campus senior administrators are also subject to the state’s annual Financial Disclosure regulations.  A notice is sent yearly to these designated employees by President’s Office.

Manager and Supervisor Responsibilities Regarding the Workplace Environment

The University prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation in any aspect of the access to, admission, or treatment of students in its programs and activities, or in employment and application for employment. Furthermore, University Policy includes prohibitions of harassment of students and employees, i.e., racial harassment, sexual harassment, and retaliation for filing complaints of discrimination. Affirmative action in employment is required for women, racial and ethnic minorities, Vietnam-era veterans, and individuals with disabilities in order to address underrepresentation in the workforce.

The Equal Opportunity and Diversity Office website provides information regarding the campus policies regarding sexual harassment, obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and defines the grievance process to investigate and where possible resolve complaints of alleged discrimination based on disparate treatment or based on disparate impact.

Additionally, every manager and supervisor is expected to be aware of how unprofessional conduct and specifically bullying can impact a workplace.  More information on bullying can be found on the Workplace Climate and Bullying page.

What occupational health services does UHS offer?

Occupational health services at UHS help UMass Amherst employees stay healthy on and off the job. Find the services you need on the Occupation Health page, download and complete any necessary forms, and call (413) 577-5101 for an appointment.

Basic Paycheck and Time Reporting

The campus academic year runs from September 1st to August 31st.  The University observes 11 holidays and 2 campus closure days before the New Year’s Day holiday during the calendar year.   The University issues pay on a bi-weekly basis.  Employees are required to have direct deposit for their pay.  Employees can log on to HR Direct to view and/print their bi-weekly pay advice statement.  Supervisors and managers are responsible for approving all time, including exception-based time such as vacation and personal time, for their employees.

Hiring Faculty and Staff

The authority to hire is delegated through each executive area and each area has slightly different approval processes.  Check with your executive area’s administrative officer (AO) on the specific procedures for hiring in your executive area. 


 Executive Area

Administrative Officer (AO)

Phone #

 Academic Affairs & Provost’s Office

Ann Williams



Kevin Wissmann


 Chancellor's Office

Rolanda Burney


 VC Admin and Finance

Ruth Yanka


 VC Office of Information Technologies

Teri Delude


 VC Research and Engagement

Lisa Wegiel


 VC Student Affairs & Campus Life

Eddie Hull


 VC University Advancement

David Markland


 VC University Relations

Sue Lorow



Drug Free Workplace

The University, as a recipient of federal sponsored funds, complies with the federal Drug Free Work Act and issues an annual update to the campus’ Drug Free Work Place Policy.

Getting a Newly Hired Employee onto the HR/payroll system (PeopleSoft HR Direct)

A Personnel Action Form (PAF) must be completed and signed by the hiring authority in order to get a new employee entered into the HR/payroll system. For faculty and exempt employees, the search must first be approved by EO&D. Faculty searches must also be approved by the Provost.  Then, along with the PAF, submit an Offer and Acceptance Form, and a resume.  Please check with your executive area’s AO on the specific procedures and requirements for necessary forms and approvals in your executive area.

HR Direct

Many HR status updates for employees (address changes, direct deposit, withholding) are available through HR Direct, the HR/payroll system’s employee self-service option.

Scheduling new employees for new GIC-eligible employee orientation to complete their employment paperwork

Contact the HR Employee Service Center (5-4549 / 5-1478) to schedule a newly GIC-eligible employee for new employee orientation. At orientation the new GIC-eligible employee will complete the paperwork necessary to secure pay and benefits.

Brief Description of Campus Collective Bargaining Agreements

The terms and conditions of employment for faculty and most staff, including discipline and termination, are covered by the collective bargaining agreements the campus has with the labor organizations that represent these employees.

There are eight bargaining units at the Amherst campus:

  • Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP/MTA) - The Faculty unit is represented by Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP) which is affiliated with the Massachusetts Teachers Association.  This unit represents the faculty and librarians on the Amherst and Boston Campuses (administered by the Provost’s Office)
  • Professional Staff Union (PSU/MTA Unit A) - Professional (exempt) staff employees are represented by the Professional Staff Union/Massachusetts Teachers Association (PSU/MTA, Unit A).  This union also represents exempt employees on the Boston Campus as well.
  • Professional Staff Union (PSU/MTA Unit B) - The PSU Unit B is comprised of supervisors of maintenance staff.
  • The American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees Local 1776 (AFSCME) represents maintenance, dining hall, and custodial workers on the Amherst Campus.  AFSCME also is the representative for CC temporary employees in Auxiliary Services and Parking Services.
  • The University Staff Association, an affiliate of the Massachusetts Teachers Association (USA/MTA), represents clerical and academic technical workers
  • The International Brotherhood of Police Officers, Locals 432 B (IBPO B) represents lieutenant and sergeant, and the New England Police Benevolent Association (NEPBA) represents police officers on the Amherst Campus
  • The Graduate Employee Organization (GEO), which is an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents graduate student employees (administered by the Graduate School)
  • The Postdoctoral Researchers Organizing (PRO), which is also an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents postdoctoral research associates and senior postdoctoral research associates (administered by the Graduate School)
  • The Resident Assistants Union/UAW Local 2322 (RA), an affiliate of the United Automobile Workers (UAW), Local 2322, represents undergraduate students employed as resident assistants in the residence halls.

The various collective bargaining agreements can be found on the bargaining unit page.

Managers are responsible for administering the employment terms and conditions of the applicable bargaining unit in their respective areas.  Contact Nick Marshall or Don Teres in the HR Labor Relations office at 5-2736 if you have staff labor relation questions or issues.  Contact John Bryan in Provost's Office at 5-2870 if you have faculty labor relation questions or issues.  Contact Susan Chinman in the Graduate School at 5-6131 if you have graduate student employee or post-doctoral employee labor relation questions or issues.

Non-Unit Employee Policies and Procedures

Policies and procedures for staff not covered by any collective bargaining agreement, also known as non-unit, are administered by Human Resources.

What to do if an employee (including student) doesn’t get paid

If you have an employee who has been working more than 3 weeks and hasn’t been paid, contact HR Administrator Manager Tim Cendrowski at 5-6106.  Because the University has a bi-weekly payroll schedule, it is possible for a new employee to work up to 3 weeks before receiving their first paycheck.  Hourly employees, such as student employees and temporary CC employees are positive pay employees, must have the hours that they worked entered into the HR/payroll system in order to get paid.  You can find the bi-weekly payroll calendar and the payroll processing dates on the HR website.

Difference Between Exempt and Non-Exempt Employees

Non-exempt means that a position is covered by wage and hours laws requiring the university to maintain time records and pay time and a half for overtime hours worked. Overtime is defined as working more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week.  Exempt means that the position is not covered by (or is exempt from) wage and hours laws and therefore, the position is paid a salary and exempt from overtime pay.

Performance Evaluation Requirements for Faculty and Staff

Evaluation programs are crucial for providing feedback to you from your staff and to your staff on their job performance and may have an impact on some contractual merit salary programs. There are different evaluation programs for faculty and unit and non-unit exempt and non-exempt staff.


The Provost’s Office in conjunction with the Deans of the various schools and colleges oversee annual faculty reviews.  For full time faculty evaluations click here.  Part time faculty annual evaluations are managed at the department level.  For questions, contact the Department Head.

Unit Exempt Employees and PSU Non-Exempt Employees

The Performance Management Program (PMP) covers unit exempt professional staff and is required yearly by the collective bargaining unit agreement.  The PMP evaluation period varies by executive area.  Contact your AO for evaluation dates and procedures.

Unit and Non Unit Non-Exempt Employees

The Performance Evaluation for Classified Employees is used for non-exempt staff (except PSU non-exempt as noted above) and is generally tied to the employee’s hire date or date promoted into their current position.  Human Resources will notify departmental personnel coordinators when a non-exempt APR is due.

Non Unit Exempt Employees

Annual Performance Review (APR) is used for non-unit exempt staff and is typically tied to either the fiscal or academic year.  Contact your AO for evaluation dates and procedures.

Training Available on Performance Management and Evaluation

If you would like more information about Performance Management approaches and how to conduct performance reviews please contact the HR Workplace Learning and Development Office at 5-1787 to request services or visit the Performance Management and Evaluation page.

Employee Classification and Compensation

Human Resources is responsible for administering compensation and classification programs for campus exempt and non-exempt staff. The Provost’s Office sets guidelines and administers compensation for faculty and librarians. Student Employment in the Financial Aid Office is responsible for administering pay rates for undergraduate students, and the Graduate School oversees stipend compensation for graduate student employees and post-doctoral research employees.

Setting the Starting Pay (exempt and non-exempt employees only)

The start pay for non-exempt employees is defined by the Schedule of Salary rates. The start pay for exempt employees is guided by the Professional Staff Salary Administration Program Salary Schedule. In general, new employees are hired between the minimum of the range and the first quartile.  For salaries outside this range, a review by Human Resources is required. Contact your AO for the process followed in your executive area should you wish to hire someone above the first quartile.

Requesting Salary/Position Level Changes (exempt and non-exempt employees only)

Changes in compensation once an employee is hired can be reviewed if the employee’s position description changes significantly or if an inequity exists in the employee’s salary vis-à-vis other employees with similar histories.  For information on the procedure for making these types of requests, contact your AO and visit the HR HR website.

What are Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) Services?

The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is an on-campus resource that offers short-term counseling, consultation and referrals for employees and their families.  FSAP services are confidential and employees come to see us about work-related issues as well as issues related to all aspects of their lives including relationship issues, personal issues and mental health concerns.  In addition, we offer confidential consultations for supervisors concerned about an employee or looking for guidance in managing an employee issue.  We are located on the second floor of Hampshire House, room 219.  For more information or to make an appointment, call 545-0350.

As an addition to this on-campus resource, Umass also contracts with a company called ComPsych Guidance Resources.  This company can offer phone consultations and community referrals for counseling issues, financial advising, childcare, eldercare and more.  Call 844-393-4983 (TDD 800-697-3053) or visit the ComPsych Guidance Resources website (WebID:  UMASS).

What to do if an employee is injured on the job

A step by step guide of what to do in case of an injury can be found on our Workplace Injury Instructions page.

What is PeopleSoft?

The PeopleSoft System is an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system which integrates data and processes of the institution into one unified electronic system. The University implemented financial and human resource modules to support our business functions and improve their efficiencies. In the financial arena, the University utilizes PeopleSoft to support general ledger, accounts payable, asset, grant, and post-award functions. The Human Resource modules are used to support payroll, benefits, time and labor functions. PeopleSoft gives users the ability to access financial and human resource data from their desk top.

Administration & Finance Websites