The University of Massachusetts Amherst

How to get reimbursed for travel

The University’s policy is to reimburse employees for necessary and reasonable travel expenses incurred for authorized and approved University business.  Most departments have trained and certified travel preparers who will prepare reimbursement forms and submit Expense Reports on-line to the Controller’s Office for inclusion in the employee’s paycheck.  A UMA corporate travel card is available to employees who travel on University business. See the travel website for more information.

Key facts for Department Administrators:

  • Travel policies are available online.
  • All reimbursement submissions to the Controller’s Office must be approved by the traveler’s immediate supervisor and include written pre-travel authorization.
  • Reimbursements must be submitted within 60 days after the trip is complete or monthly for long term travel.  Travel submitted after 120 days will be reported as taxable income to the traveler.

Administration & Finance Websites