Anyone who believes fraud has occurred should contact either the campus Controller, Vice-Chancellor, Chancellor and/or directly the University Auditor’s Office or the Campus Police Department. Employees are protected under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 149, section 185, from retaliatory actions by their employer.
Fraudulent acts include:
- Embezzlement, misappropriation or other financial irregularities
- Forgery or alteration of documents (checks, time sheets, contractor agreements, purchase orders, other financial documents, electronic files)
- Improprieties in the handling or reporting of money or financial transactions
- Misappropriation of funds, securities, supplies, inventory, or any other asset (including furniture, fixtures or equipment)
- Authorizing or receiving payment for goods not received or services not performed
- Authorizing or receiving payments for hours not worked
The fraud policy is distributed annually to all employees.