ABOUT THE FLORENCE COMMUNITY BAND (www.florencecommunityband.com):
The Florence Community Band was founded on April 18, 2001 and affiliated with the Northampton Recreation Department in 2006. We are now a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
Our purpose is to provide musicians the opportunity to play ensemble music, to perform this music for the community, and to have fun doing so. We offer free holiday and Spring concerts at the Northampton High School Auditorium, requesting only donations of food items for the Northampton Survival Center, and also perform regularly in other venues. These can include skilled nursing facilities, retirement communities, community events (such as Northampton Family Fourth at Look Park around the 4th of July and the Florence Civic & Business Association's Annual Chicken Barbeque in September), parks and parades and pretty much anywhere else we’re welcome. However, we do not play at political or religious events.
Since our first rehearsal, with 10 members in attendance, we have grown to a membership roster of over 75 musicians, with an average of 50 or more at rehearsals and performances. There are no auditions, no dues, and people of all ages and musical experience are welcome. Florence Community Band is an open, welcoming, and wonderfully supportive community arts organization.
The FCB Arts Management Internship will provide you with hands-on experience in many of the day to day activities required to manage and promote a successful community arts organization, from marketing to development. Through working with the skilled and dedicated volunteers who make our band a continuing success and a vital part of the local community, you will have the opportunity to learn much more about:
- Developing publicity materials for performances, such as posters, yard signs, press releases, etc.
- Coordinating distribution of publicity materials before concerts
- Building the band’s social media profile
- Maintaining a music library, including seasonal breakdown and assembly of folders
- Coordinating with Northampton Survival Center to facilitate collection and delivery of donated food from our concerts
- Coordinating with local skilled nursing facilities, senior centers, retirement communities, etc., to schedule and facilitate performances
- You’re also very welcome to play with the band, but it is not a requirement!
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Fall Semester
PAY TYPE: Unpaid
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Part-time (range from 6-8 hours/week)
LOCATION: Northampton, MA
ABOUT: Learn more about us at www.florencecommunityband.com
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/FlorenceCommunityBand/
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rolling
REQUIRED DEGREE: All majors
CONTACT: Priscilla Ross, firstname.lastname@example.org, 413-586-0888.
HOW TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to Priscilla Ross at the email above