With 100 years of history, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is internationally recognized as having achieved a preeminent place among the world's most important orchestras. Acclaimed for its enduring pursuit of artistic excellence, the BSO has attracted a devoted national and international following while maintaining deep bonds throughout Maryland through innovative education and community outreach initiatives. The BSO made musical history in September 2007, when Maestra Marin Alsop led her inaugural concerts as the Orchestra’s 12th music director, making her the first woman to head a major American orchestra. With her highly praised artistic vision, her dynamic musicianship and her commitment to accessibility in classical music, Maestra Alsop’s directorship has ushered in a new era for the BSO and its audiences. The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer.
INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION: The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra's Development Department is a fast-paced work environment that raises more than half of the organization's revenue from government, foundations, corporations and individuals. The Development team's role in the organization includes a high level of donor stewardship in addition to soliciting gifts through personal solicitations, telefundraising, mailings and special events. The BSO's Development Intern will work closely with members of the Development Department, specifically the Annual Fund and Institutional Giving team, gaining exposure to a highly productive team of professional gift officers and fundraisers.
The intern's projects and activities will be tailored to his/her interests and skill set, including but not limited to:
- Engage with donors during all phases of the giving cycle through preparation of solicitation and acknowledgement letters, event invitations and face-to-face communication during concerts and events
- Contribute to donor acquisition through research, data mining, cultivation event planning and communication strategies
- Encourage increased donor retention through day-to-day communications, successful event implementation and efficient use of database information
- Help increase average gift size through targeted stewardship initiatives and messaging strategies
- Explore areas of personal interest through individualized research that contributes to a larger framework
- Working with staff to learn and strengthen data management and maintenance in Tessitura, our database system
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate is interested in the field of arts management and is proactive enthusiastic, goal-oriented and responsible and has a strong work ethic and passion for the arts.
For required skills and position benefits see: https://www.bsomusic.org/about/employment-opportunities/internships/development-intern/
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Summer/Fall
PAY TYPE: Unpaid ($50/week stipend)
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Part-time, 10 - 20 hours per week
LOCATION: Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall – Baltimore, MD
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rollling
REQUIRED DEGREE: All majors. Interest in the field of arts management preferred.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to: devojobs@BSOmusic.org No phone calls or fax please.