Blues to Green Inc. represents a synergistic partnership between the music world and the nonprofit sector, coming together to build community, advance social justice, and preserve the natural environment. The nonprofit organization promotes arts accessibility, awareness of the social and environmental work of local organizations, and educational/ artistic opportunities for under-served youth.
The first project of Blues to Green has been the presentation of the Springfield Jazz & Roots Festival, which has been held in early August for the last three years. The festival is a free weekend of world-class music held in the heart of downtown Springfield. It features performances and workshops given by nationally acclaimed and locally-loved rising stars; local food and craft vendors; and presentations from inspiring nonprofits serving Springfield. The festival draws several thousand people from Springfield and throughout MA and New England.
Our future goals include expanding upon the free music workshops that have been conducted in the week leading up to the Springfield Jazz & Roots Festival. We seek to bring professional musicians to schools and community centers in the Springfield area to teach classes in music literacy and jazz throughout the school year. We also hope to present additional talks that will offer a deeper look into the world of jazz & roots music, and its influence on American life, history, and culture.
Another future project is to present a Climate Change and Sustainability Series involving public music, arts and educational events that will explore climate change and efforts to build sustainable, equitable and resilient communities. A particular focus will be on the New Orleans/ Gulf Coast region, with the series spotlighting the region’s music and culture, and the stories of its people.
During this internship you will learn about Arts Programming from Festival producers, with a focus on Sponsorships, Vendors, and Logistics for a large outdoor concert event.
- Research new potential sponsors
- Sponsorship outreach/solicitation
- Request in-kind media sponsorships
- Sponsorship tracking
- Invoice and send acknowledgement letters to sponsors/donors
- Sponsor benefit outreach/tracking/fulfillment
- Collect sponsor logos and ads
VENDORS (art, business and nonprofit):
- Research new potential vendors
- Vendor outreach/solicitation
- Vendor application tracking
- Vendor invoicing
- Coordinate vendor load-in/load-out
- Pick up and return sponsor banners
- Pick up flyers/ posters and distribute to street team (interns or volunteers?)
- Collect info on tent, table, chair needs and arrange order
- Outline needs of participating community org’s/ vendors, and individuals leading activities - determine set-up location
- Pick up festival programs
- Distribute VIP packets—laminates, discount merchandise tickets
- Support coordination of VIP/ Artist Meet and Greet
- Coordinate parking passes with Spfld. Parking Authority
- Distribute parking passes (to vendors, volunteers, etc.) and volunteer meal tickets (to volunteer coordinator)
- Oversee getting merchandise to site, set-up and sale
- Send emails to VIPS about picking up passes and access to VIP area
- Provide direction on sign needs and placement
- Develop plans for VIP hospitality
- Assist with general email/ phone communication
- Assist with donation campaign at festival and data collection (working w/ interns)
- Collect #s and sizes for volunteer and staff t-shirts, and VIP/staff/ artist laminates
- Coordinate survey of participating vendors, community organizations and artists
- Send thank you’s to organizations and artists who lead activities
PERIOD OF INTERNSHIP/EMPLOYMENT: Spring and/or Summer
PAY TYPE: Unpaid
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Part time, 4-6 hours/week
LOCATION: Huntington, MA or public/co-work space closer to UMass campus
APPLICATION DUE DATE: Rolling
REQUIRED DEGREE: Preferred Music, Arts, Writing, Communications but open to all.
CONTACT: Kristin Neville; email@example.com
HOW TO APPLY: Send paragraph of interest and resume to Kristin Neville; firstname.lastname@example.org