Chester Theatre - Production Assistant and Stage Manager Internships
Chester Theatre Company is a professional theatre company located in the foothills of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. CTC produces 4-5 plays each summer, staged and performed by professional actors, directors, and designers. Now in its 31st season, CTC has earned a reputation for producing the best in contemporary theatre, consistently winning top honors with area critics. CTC productions have gone on to Off Broadway engagements and regional, national, and international tours.
Internship Positions Available:
- Assistant Stage Manager #1 / Admin #1: interns will work closely with various departments in stage administration for the Summer 2021 season. Responsibilities include learning how to manage the front of house, box office and further administrative duties.
- Assistant Stage Manager#2 / Admin #2 This position will learn assistant stage management on show and be on administrative duties for the other times.
- General Production with a focus in Electrics and/or Sound.
- General Production with a focus in Props/Carpentry and/or Wardrobe.
Stage Management interns will serve as assistants to the stage managers' productions. The SM interns will:
- Assist the AEA stage manager with rehearsal room tasks such as:
- Preparing the rehearsal room
- Tracking blocking
- Being on book and taking line notes
- Preparing production paperwork
- Track and maintain props and costumes during rehearsals and performance
- Lead backstage crew during performance
- Assist with load-in and strike of all productions during their contract term
- Interns will assist with another front of house and administrative tasks.
Production Interns are hired in three areas, though individuals can expect to perform tasks and work across different disciplines:
- Assist Master Electrician on hang/focus of lighting
- Assist with set up / maintenance of the sound system
- Run lights and/or sound for each production Carpentry and Props
- Assist Master Carpenter with scenic installations and changeovers
- Assist Master Carpenter with props creation, maintenance, and acquisition
- Act as run crew backstage or board operator for each production Props and Wardrobe
- Assist Master Carpenter with props creation, maintenance, and borrowing
- Assist costume designers in the fitting process and work with assistant stage managers on maintaining rehearsal pieces
- Perform daily wardrobe maintenance tasks during the performance periods All production interns will work on load-in, changeovers, and strikes for all shows Interns may be asked to assist with other production or administrative tasks as needed.
PAY TYPE: Stipend $150/week
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Internship
JOB STATUS: Seasonal (Summer Months)
LOCATION: Chester Theatre Company / 19 Main Street / Chester, MA 01011. Some performances will be located on-site at Hancock Shaker Village, 1843 West Housatonic St. Pittsfield MA, 01201. Interested in applying? Please send resume and cover letter to Tara Franklin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be specific about your interests and for which internship you are applying.