Looking for the ArtsHub? Try here.
Creating Community through the Arts
What We Do:
The Arts Extension Service, located at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, has been building art and community since 1973 by bridging artists, arts managers, and other professionals with best practices, the latest research, publications, and training programs.
AES serves the arts community by:
- Teaching award-winning courses for arts managers and artists, from the field fundamentals to cutting edge classes;
- Presenting trainings and workshops for arts managers and artists and for public and private clients, including State and Local Arts Agencies, Community Foundations, Museums and Cultural Affairs offices, both locally and across the nation;
- Conducting research and consulting for clients across the country and internationally;
- Writing publications, including our Fundamentals of Arts Management 6th edition;
- Offering certificates in Arts Management, both online and on campus;
- Connecting internship opportunities for students and providers in Amherst and the Mt Ida Campuses and beyond;
- Providing the nation’s only online Arts Management bachelor’s degree completed through the University Without Walls;
- Posting career opportunities for emerging arts entrepreneurs and program alumni;
- Proudly operating the National Arts Policy Archive and Library which documents our evolving field;
- Partnering with the Creative Economy Network and the Arts Extension Institute to create the ArtsHub serving the four counties of Western Massachusetts.
Who We Are:
We are a team of leaders in the Arts Management and Arts Entrepreneurial fields bringing more than 50 years of experience to our art, humanities, arts management, professional adult, and traditional age students.
AES Associates teach courses, workshops, and trainings, are authors and editors of our publications, and are partners in conducting research. Our nonprofit board, the Arts Extension Institute is run by former AES Directors, staff, and others who work to bring the news from the field to AES to support our research and awareness of current trends.