Student Garden Coordinator
The Student Garden Coordinator works with the Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens to support the planning and upkeep of the UMass Permaculture gardens and education of garden visitors. For this role, the Student Garden Coordinator will work part-time Spring, Summer, and Fall with the option of working beyond. This position works with all those who come through the garden, including volunteers, tour groups, and the UMass Permaculture Garden Crew. We consider the Student Garden Coordinator role an apprenticeship, to be fully immersed in all elements of the UMass Permaculture program.
- Planning: Understands the overall vision of the program for each garden; works with the Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens to plan for diverse yields of produce, education, and community throughout the year.
- Maintenance: Plans and executes maintenance tasks to move each site closer towards that vision, including planting, harvesting, weeding, watering, pruning, trellising, construction of raised beds, etc.
- Marketing: Regularly creates content for UMass Permaculture social media and website.
- Volunteer Coordination: Plans and leads volunteer tasks during weekly volunteer hours and special work days. This includes staffing at least one regular volunteer session each week during the growing season.
- Student Farmers Market: Assists Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens with preparation and staffing of the UMass Permaculture Initiative table at the Student Farmers Market, as well as overall planning and marketing of the market.
- Special Events and Workshops: Helps with the planning and execution of various special events on campus and in the greater community.
- Garden Tours: After training, performs garden tours for classes and community groups, as scheduled by the Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens.
- Communication: Participates in a weekly planning meeting with the Sustainability Coordinator of Campus Gardens and one other Student Garden Coordinator. Maintains open channels of communication with other staff members.
- Auxiliary Services Sustainability: Assists with various Auxiliary Services Sustainability needs as they arise.
- Must be an undergraduate student with at least three semesters remaining
- Must be willing to commit to working Fall, Spring, and Summer with the possibility of continuing into the following season.
- Must have knowledge and hands-on experience in sustainable food production
- Must be familiar with permaculture
- Must have social media experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must enjoy working outdoors with individuals and groups in a variety of weather
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must be an excellent communicator and be able to respond to requests in a timely manner
- Preference for those with a background in permaculture (PDC, university permaculture course, etc.)