Attend a Workshop
ADVANCE program workshops are delivered in partnership with units across campus to extend and enhance our existing campus offerings. Our partners include the Provost’s Office, the Office of Equity and Inclusion, the Institute for Social Science Research, the Office of Faculty Development, the Center for Research on Families, as well as the College of Education, the College of Natural Sciences, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and the School of Public Health and Health Sciences.
Apply for a Collaborative Research Seed Grant
This seed grant program fosters the development of innovative and equitable collaborative research projects among UMass Amherst faculty. Funded seed grants at UMass will contribute to the mission of the National Science Foundation ADVANCE program. All tenure-track full-time faculty and full-time lecturers who are on continuing appointments with research as part of their job duties are eligible. Collaborative teams will receive logistics support from the ADVANCE team and will be supported in applying for external funding opportunities based on the seed funded project.
Proposed projects will be evaluated for scientific merit; contributions to faculty gender equity; collaborative research among women faculty and faculty from under-represented groups at UMass; potential for establishing sustainable research collaborations at UMass; and opportunities to pursue external funding beyond the period of the seed funding. Grants range from $10,00-$15,000.
The Mutual Mentoring Grant Program funds team mentoring projects that focus on and promote research collaboration, inclusive communities, and shared decision-making. Team mentoring grants are faculty-driven, context-sensitive mentoring projects, orchestrated by teams that conceive and carry out their own project plans. We welcome proposals from full-time tenure-track faculty and full-time lecturers who are on continuing appointments. UMass ADVANCE particularly encourages proposals from faculty members in NSF-supported fields (the College of Engineering, College of Information and Computer Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, or College or Social and Behavioral Sciences, or in the departments of Management in the Isenberg School of Management and Linguistics in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts). Grants of up to $6,000 will be awarded.
Become an ADVANCE Faculty Fellow
ADVANCE Faculty Fellows will partner with the ADVANCE-IT Team, providing recommendations and feedback about ADVANCE programming and resources, and promoting ADVANCE program efforts in their departments. We seek one faculty member from each department for a twelve-month term.
As members of the ADVANCE Advisory Committee, Faculty Fellows will:
- Promote the activities of the ADVANCE Program for Collaboration & Equity
- Attend one meeting each semester with the ADVANCE Team
- Provide feedback on programming, and suggest additional programming or ADVANCE investments
- Send notices out to their department members about upcoming ADVANCE events
- Meet with faculty being recruited and inform them of ADVANCE Program activities
- Encourage department members to apply for collaborative research seed grants and ADVANCE Mutual Mentoring Team grants.
- Cultivate other faculty members from their departments to become future ADVANCE Faculty Fellows
- Remain a resource for ADVANCE after term has expired
- Be recognized at UMass Amherst Faculty Honors Recognition Dinner
- Attend one dinner with campus leaders, recognizing your work as an ADVANCE Faculty Fellow