UMass ADVANCE supports faculty equity through the power of collaboration. ADVANCE calls for self-nominations for a new collective award for faculty groups to recognize effective and equitable collaboration practices. Self-nominations are due by December 15, 2023.
$500 to support your group's ongoing collaborations, as well as a prominent place on the ADVANCE website and press release to various channels recognizing your group’s shared practices.
Research shows that for diverse teams on which all voices are heard, including the voices of women and minoritized faculty, the knowledge produced is more innovative and creative. Our goal is to recognize collective efforts that develop practices promoting equitable, inclusive collaboration and decision-making.
- Faculty led groups of three or more faculty members are eligible to self-nominate.
- Groups must be comprised of a majority of faculty who are members of MSP or are currently serving as Chairs/Heads.
- Groups being nominated for research collaboration may be part of formal organizational units (e.g., research centers or institutes, working groups) or informal collectives (e.g., mutual mentoring groups, proposal teams).
- One group member may take the lead in submitting the self-nomination, but all group members will need to agree to the nomination via a DocuSign document.
This award recognizes promising practices in shared decision-making and equitable group processes; we know that no group is perfect but ADVANCE seeks to highlight specific practices that lay the foundation for greater equity.
Applications will describe practices, initiatives, and/or work produced by the group that signify equitable collaboration.
These could include but are not limited to:
- effective and equitable shared decision-making practices
- best practices for increasing faculty inclusion in campus governance
- community agreements and agreed upon norms for conflict resolution
- contributing to improved policies and practices for implementing faculty programs
- interdisciplinary community building practices
- effective advocacy for equitable resource allocation for faculty
- equitable evaluation and peer review practices
- programs for mentoring faculty colleagues
- informal practices for including all voices in collaborations
- equitable practices for creating, sustaining, and crediting research collaborations
- memorandums of understanding and authorship agreements for research collaborations
- research collaboration stemming from co-teaching
- online communication practices for equity in collaboration
Applications will be reviewed collaboratively by a committee of faculty from different colleges, using ADVANCE guidance for equitable peer review.
Submitting a Self-Nomination for Your Faculty Group
- Download the excel contact sheet (you will need to fill this out and upload when you submit) and the pdf of the self-nomination survey (this is so you can review the questions you will need to answer when submitting your self-nomination through our online survey).
- Complete the online survey to submit the self-nomination of your faculty group using the link below.
December 15, 2023.
Questions? Contact Donna Baron at firstname.lastname@example.org