Currently, as I write this blog post, it is way too nice out to study. The sun is shining, birds are chirping, and the sky is an incredible shade of blue. How am I supposed to stay inside and continue my homework and job applications when it’s 65 degrees out? With final exams and presentations quickly approaching, I am at a crossroads with my head and my heart. One says do your work and the other says frolic in the sunshine!
Luckily, my friends and I have found some hacks to enjoying the nice weather and stay on top of all of our work.
- Make flashcards and go on a walk — While it may be difficult to walk and read, being outside while flipping through some study terms is a win-win! Plus, some added exercise!
- Take advantage of outdoor picnic tables — UMass has tons of tables that you can utilize to study and soak in the day. My favorite ones are underneath People’s Market Café!
- Invest in a picnic blanket — Orchard Hill is unofficially the best spot on campus to lie in the grass, do some reading, and watch the sun set over the valley! The sunsets at UMass are absolutely incredible.
- Walk to your classes—While many students that live both on and off campus will utilize the free bus system to get to class, I love to walk to my classes when it is nice weather!
- Plan strategic breaks — Planning breaks to sit outside is a great way to have something to look forward to while you do your homework inside. There are great local ice cream shops and cafes at your disposal!
If you are like me, and enjoying the nice weather is one of your top priorities, adjusting your schedule to accommodate the nice day and all of your studying is definitely doable.