Lately, we’ve had consistent stormy weather here at UMass. Honestly, I’ve worn my rain jacket every day this week just in case. It’s hard to feel motivated when all I want to do in this weather is stay under my covers and watch a good movie. Here are a few things I do to have a productive rainy day:
1. Set a few alarms and wake up early. I find it so tempting to spend the entire dreary morning wrapped up in my sheets, but I had to break this habit. I wasn’t getting anything done early, which left me struggling to complete all my work later in the day. I set my alarms between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
2. Search for jobs or internships. Plan for your future and look for opportunities that are going to advance you in your career goals. The UMass Amherst Student Job Board is a great resource to use, especially if you are looking for a part-time job during the school year. It’s constantly being updated with new work opportunities! Handshake is a great platform to use when searching for both internships and jobs.
3. Plan out your week. Relax and write down all the assignments you want to accomplish and when you want them done by. If you give yourself a deadline, stick to it! Don’t save everything for Sunday at 5 p.m.
4. Start reading a book. Search online for a topic that interests you and then look for books relating to it. Chances are high that you can reserve that same book at the W.E.B. Du Bois Library.
5. Workout. You don’t even have to leave your room! I’ll pull up a quick exercise video on YouTube and feel refreshed for the day. Just make sure you give yourself enough room so you don’t start knocking stuff over (something I have a history of doing).
6. Look for clubs to join. The UMass Amherst Campus Pulse website is great for finding organizations that interest you. There are over 488 clubs and organizations on the site to search through. There’s also a search option to fine-tune your interests.
Rainy weather isn’t going away anytime soon. Remember to grab your umbrella and take the day by storm.