As the holiday season approaches, it’s natural to start feeling homesick. The colder the weather gets, the more I wish I was waking up in my bed at home. Plus, when you’re at school all the holidays begin to blur into one. I can’t even believe it’s the end of October. I haven’t even watched “Hocus Pocus” yet! Below are some of the things I do to combat my homesickness:
1. Remember to keep in touch with the people you care about. This one may sound like a given, but it’s easier said than done. When you’re in college everyone has different schedules, and finding time to reconnect with a friend starts to feel impossible. I recently got in touch with one of my childhood best friends. The last time we talked on the phone was over two months ago! The conversation we had was much needed and way overdue.
2. FaceTime, FaceTime, FaceTime! I love when my mom FaceTimes me because I know I’ll end up seeing my whole family. She’ll always pass it onto my dad, and then he’ll pass it to my brother. Plus, I get to see my cat and dog. One time my cat hung up the call on me though... I think he was still mad at me for leaving.
3. Handwrite and mail out cards to the people you miss. Doing this shows you took the time and effort to send them a thoughtful message. Plus, who doesn’t love getting a note in the mail? Freshman year, one of my friends sent me a card, and I hung it up in my dorm all year. It’s way more thoughtful than a text!
4. Bake cookies or brownies. If you live off campus and have your own kitchen, great! If you’re living in a dorm, don’t worry. There’s another option for you. Most dorms have a community kitchen that all residents are allowed to use. Just ask your RA where yours is, and they’ll be more than happy to guide you in the right direction. The smell of baked goods really reminds me of home and gets me in the holiday spirit. The holiday-themed Pillsbury sugar cookies are my favorite!
5. Host a movie night. If you’re really missing home, distract yourself by inviting friends over to enjoy a good flick. Make sure there’s plenty of popcorn and soda to go around for all. You can even venture out to a theater. I suggest going to Cinemark at the Hampshire Mall. On Tuesdays, tickets are only $5.75!
Homesickness comes and goes in waves, and everyone goes through it. Just remember, you aren’t alone in this experience!