The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


International Transfer Application Requirements

UMass Amherst international students


UMass Amherst welcomes you to apply for admission as an international student if you are not a United States citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.

If you have completed high school (secondary school) and have been enrolled in a college or university, you should apply as a transfer student (see instructions below). If you have completed high school (secondary school) and have not yet enrolled in a regular session at a college or university, you should apply as a first-year student.

A note on spring admission for international students: Due to the lengthy VISA process, we are unable to admit international students for the spring semester, unless they are currently enrolled in a U.S. college or university.

Application materials needed for an international transfer student:

Applicants to UMass Amherst should use the Common Application and must pay the $80 application fee. Students who are enrolled in a Massachusetts community college and who are earning their associate degree in a MassTransfer program may instead apply using the MassTransfer Application.

Find all deadlines here!

Official transcripts/mark sheets from all post-secondary institutions attended, along with official English translations, are required whether or not transfer credit is desired. 

Attention transfer applicants from Chinese Universities: In order to be considered for admission and/or transfer credit, please arrange for a verification report of your university transcript with the China Credentials Verification (CHESICC). The electronic report must be sent directly to UMass Amherst through the CHSI Email Service, rather than by you or any third party. Please request that the CHSI Email Service send the reports to

Applicants who have completed less than one year of post-secondary education must submit official high school (secondary) transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. Test scores are not required for students who have been out of high school for three or more years. SAT/ACT scores should be sent electronically by the testing agency. The UMass Amherst SAT code is 3917, and the ACT code is 1924. We are unable to process "rush" test score reports.

If an applicant's high school (or secondary school) is in a country that requires national or state exams in order to progress to higher educational levels, we require a copy of official exam results for any exams completed prior to applying for admission instead of a secondary school transcript. Some examples are GCSE ordinary, advanced subsidiary, and advanced level exams; Indian secondary school certificate, higher secondary school certificate, or intermediate examination certificate; Caribbean secondary education certificate (CSEC) or Caribbean advanced proficiency examination (CAPE).

All applicants who are non-native speakers of English must demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the following ways:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS: A minimum score of 80 or better on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) is required along with strong subscores in each of the four areas. An IELTS score of 6.5 or higher along with strong subscores in each of the four areas is also acceptable. Official copies of scores must be submitted directly from the testing agency. Student copies are not considered official. The UMass Amherst TOEFL code is 3917.

You may be exempt from the TOEFL requirement if you have completed two non-ESL English composition courses AND several humanities/social science courses with grades of B or better at a U.S. college or university.

Architecture, art, dance, and music majors should submit an application early to Undergraduate Admissions to facilitate the audition or portfolio review process. See Special Requirements for Selected Majors for more information.

While not required for admission, all international students may choose to submit a third-party unscripted interview. Because many students come from educational systems that are different from that of the United States, we find it valuable to view an unscripted interview where applicants may discuss their unique backgrounds and goals. A third-party company will conduct the interview, record the conversation, and send it directly to our admissions team for review. If you choose to submit such an interview, companies that provide this service include IntialView. (Interviews are optional and must be submitted by the application deadline to be considered.  Applicants must contact the company to set-up and pay for the interview. Submission of an interview does not waive any application requirement nor in any way guarantee admission.)

Applicants also have the option to provide additional information about their English ability by submitted a score on the Duolingo English Test (DET).  This is an optional supplement that may assist us in evaluating your application for admission or a specific major. Important: the DET will be used as a supplement only; applicants must still demonstrate English language proficiency as noted above.

Applicants needing an F-1 student visa will receive email instructions on how to submit their financial documents after an offer of admission has been made. For more about finances and visa processing for international students please see this page. If you are currently living in the United States and believe your visa status will qualify you as a domestic student, please be sure to include your U.S. visa information in the "Geography and Citizenship" section of the Common Application.