University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Transferring Credit

Up to 75 transfer or testing credits may be applied to graduation requirements. However, students are required to earn at least 45 credits in residence at UMass Amherst.  All scores and transcripts must be sent to Undergraduate Admissions directly from the institution or testing agency.

Previous Coursework

Transfer credit is generally awarded if your previous coursework is comparable in content and scope to courses offered by UMass Amherst and you earned a grade of C- (1.7) or higher in the course. Internships, co-ops, and technical, vocational, or highly specialized courses are generally not accepted for transfer credit. In the case of a non-traditional grading system, faculty evaluations must be submitted as part of your official transcript. Specific letter grades earned outside UMass Amherst do not transfer.

  • Admitted freshmen who have supplied the relevant official transcripts will receive a transfer credit evaluation in the fall of their first semester.
  • Admitted transfer students will receive a preliminary transfer credit evaluation with their admit package. A more detailed course and major evaluation will then take place during orientation.

NOTE: In order to graduate from UMass Amherst, all students must complete a minimum of 120 graduation credits (123-128 for Engineering) and all UMass Amherst/College/Major requirements with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.

AP/SAT II, IB Diploma, CLEP, A Levels, and Military Credit

Students can receive credit through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International A Level examinations. Strong scores may allow for a course waiver or course credit.

  • Advanced Placement (AP) and SAT II Tests: UMass Amherst grants advanced standing and/or credit for the College Board AP exams, but these credits will vary depending upon scores and subject matter. You may also receive credit for your SAT II Foreign Language scores. Official copies of your AP and/or SAT Subject Test scores should be sent electronically to UMass Amherst. Our CEEB # is 3917.
  • AP Test Scores/Credit Chart
  • SAT II Subject Test Scores/Credit Chart
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program: Students can receive credit through IB Diploma Program. Diplomas should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the testing agency. Student may earn transfer credit for HL level exams in which they score between 4-7.  Depending on the subject, student may earn between 6-8 credits per exam.  Admissions will need a copy of the exam certificate which shows the exam scores.
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Credit earned through CLEP will be awarded based on the following guidelines: CLEP Information (PDF)
  • Military Credits: UMass Amherst adheres to the VALOR Act Academic Credit Evaluation Policy.  We use the American Council on Education (ACE), CLEP, and DSST guidelines and apply the same standards to credits for military education as those applied to coursework from accredited colleges and universities. The JST military transcript is available in electronic format only and may be requested via the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website. For more information about transferring military credits, please contact Eric Lewison, Transfer Credit Evaluator, in the Undergraduate Admissions Office at or (413) 545-0222.