Skip to main content

Applicant Categories

Undergraduate Admissions

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions processes applications for the following types of domestic and international students:

  • Freshman: A graduating high school student (regardless of number of college credits taken while in high school) or a high school graduate or GED recipient who has attempted fewer than 12 college credits after graduation and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program.
  • Transfer: A high school graduate or GED recipient who has enrolled as a full-time degree student or who has attempted 12 or more credits of college study and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program. This category includes Massachusetts community college students who receive preferential admission under the Joint Admissions / Mass Transfer option.
  • Interchange Transfer: An enrolled degree-seeking student at UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth, or UMass Lowell who wishes to transfer as a degree-seeking student to the Amherst campus. Students follow the same application process as transfer applicants.
  • Post-Graduate 2nd Bachelor’s Degree: An applicant who has earned a bachelor's degree and is interested in earning another degree in a program different from the first. Students must contact the Admissions Office for an application form and to determine if their chosen major is available to post-graduate second bachelor's degree students.

Veterans: Veterans apply for admission in the same manner as other students. If you are a current or former member of the United States military, please contact Veterans Services as soon as you begin the application process. Their staff will be able to help you access military educational benefits.

Other Admissions Categories

Other university departments process applications for the following types of students:


In general, if you are a dependent student and at least one parent or guardian has resided in Massachusetts for one year or longer, then you qualify for in-state tuition. Vacation homes may not be used to qualify for Massachusetts residency. 

To determine if you can be considered a Massachusetts resident and thereby qualify for in-state tuition, please review the tuition policy.

New England Residents: If you are a legal resident of Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont and the major you want to pursue at UMass Amherst is not available at your state’s public colleges, you may qualify for a reduced tuition rate under the Tuition Break Program.

NOTE:  Certain international students may qualify for in-state tuition, depending on their visa type.  Examples include:

  • dependent students on H-4 visas, whose parents have been residing and working in Massachusetts for a year or more;
  • students who have received Deferred Status through the Obama initiative. 
International students on student visas will not qualify for in-state tuition. International students will be considered out-of-state for tuition residency purposes; they must contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office and provide appropriate visa documentation in order to initiate a residency reclassification review. 
For more detailed information about tuition residency, contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at 413-545-0222 or visit the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education website.