The University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Massachusetts Amherst

Search Google Appliance


Admitted Student FAQ

A group of UMass students sitting around a computer

When will I find out if I am being offered a scholarship or need-based aid?

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships awarded by UMass Amherst. If you have been awarded a scholarship then you will see a Financial Award link when viewing your Admissions Decisions on your personal Admissions Center in Spire. Questions about merit scholarships should be addressed to the Admissions Office. Scholarship assistance to transfer students is more limited.

Need-based aid requires submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form. The priority filing date for the FAFSA is March 1.  The Financial Aid Office recommends that it be filed by February 15.  Financial Aid Services begins emailing award information to admitted students in late December.  Awards are viewed in SPIRE.  Transfer students must request that a copy of their FAFSA report be sent to UMass Amherst.  The FAFSA code for UMass Amherst is 002221.

What does it cost to attend UMass Amherst?

Please check our Bursar’s Office website for the current tuition and fee schedule.  For an estimation of the tuition and fees, please see our Financial Aid Services website.

What do I need to do if I’m an international student?

Welcome!  Each year we admit students from over 70 countries around the world.  Please see our checklist for admitted international students.  Also, our International Programs Office works with international students throughout their academic careers, assisting with initial immigration advising and documentation, orientation, and ongoing advising and counseling.

Can I make a change to my high school (or college) schedule after being admitted?

Your admission was based, in part, on the course schedule you declared in your application. Therefore, we will approve drops in your schedule only for medical reasons or extenuating circumstances. You can change your schedule, but the change normally must be to a comparable level course, e.g. AP for AP, honors for honors, etc. Any request for a schedule change must be submitted online.

When we review final transcripts in the summer, we check final grades as well as schedule changes. An unauthorized schedule change or extreme drop in grades could jeopardize your admission.

I chose Education as my first-choice major but my letter says my major is “Education Exploratory Track.”  Why?

Students interested in teaching must complete a major appropriate to their particular license (early childhood, elementary or secondary education). Once you finish your undergraduate degree, you may apply to a post-baccalaureate program at UMass Amherst or elsewhere to prepare for licensure. The university's new Exploratory Track Program is for students interested in education as a career path in a variety of settings (e.g., formal, informal or international).

I was admitted to my first-choice major. However, I think I would like to change my major now. Is this possible?

If you would like to change your major, send an email to the Admissions Office as soon as possible. We will review all requests between April 1-15 and respond before May 1. Please note that you may have to meet certain academic requirements if you are requesting a competitive major. If a major is already "closed," no requests into it will be reviewed. 

What does it mean to be admitted to my second-choice major (or to the Exploratory Track Program)? Can I eventually enter my first-choice major?

Certain majors are highly competitive and we are not able to admit every applicant. If you wish to transfer to your original first-choice major or another program after enrolling, we recommend that you work with your academic advisor to learn the requirements for admission. (Please note that it is not possible to transfer into the Nursing major.)  Starting Fall 2015, the University is implementing an Exploratory Track Program for all first-year students who have been accepted for admission to the University as an Undeclared major.

Where do I send my Advanced Placement (AP),  International Baccalaureate (IB), or A level exams to receive credit?

Students can receive credit through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), and International A Level examinations.  Strong scores may allow for a course waiver or course credit.  All scores MUST be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency.  It is also helpful to have a copy of your test scores on hand when first meeting with an academic advisor. This will let academic advisors know what credits you have earned.

When do you need my transcripts for college courses I took in high school?

After all college courses are completed, please have the official transcripts sent to us directly from the college. If the courses are transferable, then the credit hours and grades will be added to your UMass Amherst record once you start attending classes in the fall.

Can I double major and/or add a minor?

If you would like to double major or add a minor you will need to speak with your advisor at New Students Orientation. He or she will be able to instruct you on how to proceed.

When is the deadline for accepting my offer of admission?

You should accept your offer of admission online by May 1 (June 1 for transfers) or within two weeks if you receive your Notice of Admission packet after April 15 (May 15 for transfers). The sooner you accept your offer of admission, the sooner you may sign up for summer orientation, submit your housing request, etc.

How do I activate my computer account?

Our Information Technology (IT) office will send you information on how to access your IT account, including the student information system (SPIRE), email, wireless internet, etc. If you need assistance with your NetID or password, please check the IT web site for new students.

Do I need to send my final transcripts?

Yes. Your offer of admission is contingent on successful completion of all courses in progress or planned prior to your entry to UMass Amherst.

  • First-year students: please have your official final high school transcript sent to Undergraduate Admissions by July 1. Transcripts from any post-secondary institutions you may have attended during or after high school must also be sent.
  • Transfer students: please have your final college transcript(s) sent to Undergraduate Admissions by July 1. If you are taking summer courses, the final transcript must be sent by August 17.
  • Please send all transcripts to: 37 Mather Dr., Amherst, MA 01003

What are the possible admissions decisions under Early Action?

There are three possible admission decisions for Early Action applicants:

  • An offer of admission for the upcoming fall term (contingent on successful completion of the senior year).
  • Deferral to the Regular Decision applicant pool, either because the student’s record was not as strong as others or because the application was incomplete. We will reexamine these students in the context of the entire pool, taking into account mid-year grades and other new academic information. Final decisions for these students will be sent in late March to early April.
  • Denial of admission for students whose academic records are not competitive within the overall applicant pool. Applicants who are denied under Early Action will not be reconsidered under Regular Decision but may reapply after completing one year of collegiate study at another institution.

How do I cancel my admission?

To cancel your offer of admission please send an email to with the following information:

  • Specify that you are declining your offer of admission
  • Tell us your full name, your NetID, date of birth, and the name of the school you will be attending (this is helpful information for us)

What can I do to enhance my chance of being admitted if I am deferred from Early Action to Regular Decision?

Applicants who were deferred from Early Action will receive a second review early to mid-March. Make sure that any new academic information (mid-semester grades, higher test scores, etc.) has been sent to us by as soon as possible. Please do not send duplicate information or additional recommendations. Visiting or contacting the Admissions Office will not enhance your chance of being admitted.