We here mention some suggested readings in the history of Sinology, on which we have freely drawn for the personal profiles. Though the subject is little known to its practitioners, its documentation is vast, and we make no pretense of completeness or even of representative selection. Suggestions from viewers will be welcome. Arrangement is alphabetical by author.
- Søren Clausen et al (ed). Cultural Encounters: China, Japan, and the West. Aarhus University 1995
- Europe Studies China: Papers From an International Conference. Han-Shan Tang 1995
- Herbert Franke. Sinologie. Francke 1953
- Bernhard Führer. Vergessen und Verloren. (Bochum) Projekt 2001
- David Honey. Incense at the Altar. AOS 2001
- Symposium on Chinese Studies and the Disciplines. JAS v23 #4 (Aug 1964) 505-538.
- Martin Kern. The Emigration of German Sinologists, 1933-1945. JAOS v118 #4 (Oct-Dec 1998) 507-529
- E Stuart Kirby. Russian Studies of China. Macmillan 1975
- Harriet Zurndorfer. China Bibliography. Brill 1995. The Introduction is an overview of Sinological history.
11 June 2004 / Contact The Project / Exit to Sinology Page