Bulletin de l'École Française d'Extrême-Orient
BEFEO is the journal of the École Française d'Extême-Orient. The École itself was founded in 1900 under the joint aegis of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres and the French colonial government in Indochina. In 1902, a headquarters was established in Hanoi (it moved to Phnom Penh in 1957; this was abandoned in 1975; more recently a Hanoi center has been re-established). From 1907, the École was given responsibility for archaeology in Southeast Asia. The founding and maintenance of museums in Southeast Asia (some now controlled by the respective local governments) was an early activity.
The Bulletin began appearing in 1901, and except for an understandable gap in the years 1944-1950, has continued regularly up to the present time. Its archaeological emphasis continues, along with the focus on religion which is typical of all French studies of Asia.
20 Mar 2008 / Contact The Project / Exit to Sinology Page