In this service learning course, SRVCLRNG 292F, students learn about hunger and food security. Through readings, field trips, and service work, students engage topics such as food banks, community gardens, nutrition education, and an historical perspective on hunger. As part of their coursework, students perform at least 30 hours of community service experience at a site of their choosing. The course aims to provide students with a larger perspective on the community and the issues.
- Amherst Survival Center138 Sunderland RoadAmherst, MA 01002United States
- Food Bank of Western Massachusetts97 N. Hatfield Road, PO Box 160Hatfield, MA 01038United States
- Amherst Senior Center4 Boltwood AvenueAmherst, MA 01002United States
- UMass Extension Nutrition Education ProgramDepartment of Nutrition, 203 Chenoweth Lab100 Holdsworth WayAmherst, MA 01003-9282United States
- Nuestras Raices329 Main StreetHolyoke, MA 01040United States
- Gardening The Community256 Hancock StreetSpringfield, MA 01109United States