Advising & Resources for Undergrads
WGSS has a strong advising system. In addition to the staff of professional advisors in the HFA Advising Center, the department has a dedicated professional staff advisor and each major and minor works one-on-one with a faculty sponsor. The advisor is in the office Monday through Friday and is available to meet with current or potential students regarding requirements, course selection, internships, career assistance and more. There is usually little or no delay in seeing an advisor. Academic advising can help students connect to University resources, and focus their academic programs. We are here to help students make the best of their education and to reach their individual educational goals. Stop by the office, students are always welcome.
If you encounter a problem...
If something happens to you as a student—an illness, falling behind in a class, a family emergency—please tell someone. If the issue is with a class, the first thing to do is to notify the professor/instructor/teaching assistant. They are available to assist you with the material—that is why they have office hours. You can also contact an academic advisor in the department office or at the HFA Advising Center.
For general academic assistance, late drops and adds, retroactive withdrawals, academic discipline, and other academic issues, visit the HFA Advising Center in E202 off the atrium.
WGSS Writing Tutor Information
The Fall 19/Spring 2020 Writing Tutor is Kevin Henderson, a WGSS Feminist Studies Graduate Certificate student and Ph.D. student in Political Science. This fall semester, he'll have hours on Tuesdays from 12:00-5:00 or by appointment. Please email Kevin at email@example.com to set up a time. Kevin is available to work one-on-one with any student in WGSS classes or within the WGSS major to prepare for essays or exams, to prep writing materials for job or internship applications, to discuss successful study and writing strategies, and to teach students how to conduct library database searches and access research materials.
Other Resources & Support
- The Office of the Registrar has a host of useful information on gen ed requirements, graduation and much much more. The registrar also has information about regulations at UMass Amherst, including, absences, academic honesty and more.
- The Learning Resource Center, located in the library, offers lots of help, including tutoring. They provide a peer-supported environment in which to meet academic challenges.
- The Dean of Students Office provides students with the support, resources and referrals they need to succeed at UMass Amherst and aims to serve as a single point of contact within the university for students and their families in times of crisis including withdrawal/re-enrollment, short term emergency loans, the University Conduct Process, and supporting students through the Massachusetts Residency Reclassification process. The staff strives to meet the varied needs of all students through advocacy program support, advising, and general counseling.
- The Center for Multicultural Advancement & Student Success provides academic support, cultural enrichment, student development as well as support for institutional diversity on the UMass Amherst campus. They can assist with peer mentoring, social connection, exposure to national student leadership conferences, and navigating offices of the bursar, registrar, financial aid, and more. A computer study lab is available.
- There are WGSS specialists at the library; contact information here.
If you need support, there are numerous resources available to you at UMass
- The Center for Counseling and Psychological Health offers a range of services from counseling to testing and is on call 24 hours a day
- The Center for Women and Community has a variety of services including support groups, counseling, information and referral, rape crisis services and more
- The Psychological Services Center is also available
- If you need accommodations, contact Disability Service
- For other issues, start with "single stop" which links to many other resources