UMass Amherst Veteran Services

Photo of soldiers carrying flags

Applying for Educational Benefits

Veterans must apply for educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Below are several links that will get you started and will provide you with the information you need to take advantage of your benefits.

Please contact our office if you have questions that are not answered by the Web sites below or if you need assistance with the process.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

This easy to navigate site contains information regarding veterans’ benefits and eligibility requirements. Some highlights include education benefits, home loans, life insurance, health care, and information on Department of Veterans Affairs infrastructure and politics.

VA Online Application for Educational Benefits

Veterans may use this site to apply for many VA benefits, including the Montgomery GI Bill. Students collecting MGIB benefits must either complete the online application here or use the paper application (VA Form 22-1990).

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)

This is a secondary page of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs Web site. It is an excellent resource for both current and prospective students eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill as well as their dependents. The site provides information on education benefit programs, toll-free numbers for VA program information, as well as links to VA forms, electronic application for benefits, payment rates, and Web-based verification.

For additional assistance, call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.

MGIB Verification

(Web Automated Verification of Enrollment/WAVE)

If you receive GI bill benefits, you must verify your attendance status monthly. Once our VA office (or another approved educational institution) has certified your enrollment, you may use this site to complete monthly verification online. It is often quicker and easier to do this online than it is to call the verification number (1-877-823-2378 ). The MGIB Verification Web site also offers individual benefit status information, certified periods of enrollment, and recent direct deposit information.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) or Chapter 1607

REAP (or Chapter 1607) is an education benefit available to certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001. You will find general information at REAP Questions and Answers on the U.S. VA Web site, and further details through the Questions and Answers search function.

Massachusetts Veterans Information

This is the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Web site for veterans. It includes information on applying for benefits in its Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section, lists of educational institutions and programs eligible for GI Bill benefits, information on educational assistance regulations, and programs and benefits offered by the commonwealth.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Veterans

This is the veterans’ Web site for the state of Massachusetts. It includes information on benefits, employment and training, honors and records, housing, outreach and counseling, women veterans, and returning veterans.

Welcome Home Guide

Recently returned veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) should also note the Welcome Home Guide available on the Massachusetts Veterans site. This publication explains the benefits they have earned from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, as well as some federal benefits to which they may be entitled from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

National Guard Benefits

This is the Web site of the Massachusetts Army National Guard. It provides extensive information for National Guard members in the commonwealth under the Education link. Student interested in membership in the Guard should also visit the education section for a brochure and slideshow that explain the education benefits available.


FinAid is an excellent Web site offering information for students and families on all aspects of financial aid. The site includes a section on military student aid that provides information about student financial aid resources for students who are interested in pursuing careers in the military and for veterans and their dependents.

Military Education Transcripts

Use the following links to request that your official military education transcript be sent to UMass Amherst.

Navy/Marine Corps
Coast Guard
Air Force

The university will then determine which credits will transfer.

Prospective students should request that transcripts be sent directly to:

Transfer Admissions & Credit Evaluation
University Admissions Center
37 Mather Dr.
UMass Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003

Education Benefit Payment Rates

The U.S. VA Web site includes up-to-date information on all education benefit payment rates. For additional assistance visit the Veteran Services Office in 231 Whitmore Building.