- At the scene of an accident involving a State vehicle, the driver shall,
unless incapacitated due to injury:
- Call for medical assistance if necessary;
- Notify the police. If this is not immediately possible, the driver
must notify the police as soon as he/she is able;
- Obtain all information necessary to fully complete a RMV Motor
Vehicle Crash Report (available here)
and an Owned Vehicle Auto Loss form with the University Treasurer's Office
- After the accident, the driver or Department Fleet Manager is
- Calling the University Treasurer's Office within 24 hours of the accident.
- Repairs related to the accident will be billed to the department in the monthly
repair recharge. In some cases auto body work may need to be paid for using a
- The University Treasurer's Office will subrogate all claims against other
driver's insurance companies and collect all funds for the University.
- If an accident causes over $1,000 worth of property damage and/or injury
or death, the driver must send a copy of the accident report to the Registry
of Motor Vehicles and the police department in whose jurisdiction
the accident occurred.
- If a police report was filed in connection with the accident the driver or
department Fleet Manager MUST obtain a copy and forward it to the University
- In the event that a State employee, driving a State owned vehicle, is involved in
an accident that damages their own personal vehicle or other personal property then
this incident shall be considered a Conflict of Interest and the Commonwealth
of MA cannot be held liable for any damage done to that individual's personal property.
As a result, no claim can be brought against the Commonwealth by that driver.