UVC-TV19 is a teaching and learning station dedicated to giving you hands-on experience so you can improve your skills in video and television production. If you're looking to get involved at UVC-TV19, come down to the station in the Student Union Rm. 216 next to the Hatch. We're open 11am-5pm Mon-Fri and there is always a staff member here who can answer any questions you have about what UVC is all about!
Steps to get involved:
- Orientation: Come by the station and we'll show you our studio and editing suites!
- Membership: There is a $10 fee to become a member, which allows you to take advantage of our workshops. You must be a full-time undergrad student. Download the membership form, or pick it up in our office.
- Workshops: Members of UVC-TV19 are able to take our workshops for free. These workshops train members how to edit using Final Cut Pro and how to use our cameras and equipment. You must take the basic camera and basic editing workshops to take out equipment and use our editing facilities. Advanced camera workshops are also available upon request for further understanding of our equipment and training on our more complex cameras. Workshops are posted on our calendar, at the station, and emailed out to our members in our bi-weekly newsletter. To sign up, come to the station and put your name on the sign-up sheet or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The following workshops are offered:
- Basic Camera - Sony HDR Cameras: This introductory camera course focuses on properly setting up the Sony HDR cameras to consistently capture high quality video and audio. Additional background information focuses on common video terminology and the basics of frame composition.
- Basic Editing - Final Cut Pro X: This introductory editing course brings users through the entire editing process from setting up a new project to sharing a completed deliverable. Special emphasis is placed on media management and an overview on the main tools you need to know to get you up and running in FCP X
- Advanced Camera - Sony Z5U: This advanced camera course explores the Sony Z5U in depth. Emphasis will be placed on setting proper white balance and using various combinations of aperture, gain, and shutter speed adjustments to obtain the best possible image based on the shooting situation. The workshop also covers manual audio settings, manual focusing, recording to compact flash cards, and additional professional features specific to the Z5U cameras.
- Advanced Editing - Final Cut Pro X: This introductory color course teaches users how to analyze and properly balance the brightness and color of their images. Special focus is placed on using video scopes to justify our color decision and ensure accuracy.
- In-studio shows: A great way to learn about television production is to join one of our in-studio shows. UMass Sports Weekly meets Tuesdays at 6:00pm, UMass News Now meets Wednesdays at 6:00pm, and Yak Back! meets Thursdays at 5:30pm.
- Independent Productions: Interested in creating your own production? Once you've taken the workshops and paid the $10 membership fee, you are an "accessed member". This means you can use our equipment and facilities to work on your own productions, and they will get aired on our channel. Just fill out a production proposal and submit it at the station, and when it's approved you can get to work!