EVENTS FOR WORDS IN TRANSIT
A project of New England Public Radio and distributed by University of Massachusetts Press, this collection of oral histories unfolds multiple global realities rarely heard or considered. These are wrenching stories from all over the world, told by those who lived through them. They are also stories of resilience, triumph, and gratitude.Together with NEPR, UMass Press is sponsoring a series of events throughout the Valley to foster discussion about immigration. Each presentation will include an opportunity to hear stories from contributors and participate in discussion.
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 7 pm: Holyoke Community College, Leslie Phillips Forum, 303 Homestead Ave., Holyoke, MA. This event will also be the launch of the Holyoke Community College Words in Transit Scholarship Fund for immigrant students. Books available for sale by Odyssey Bookshop.
- Saturday, November 5, 2016, 4 pm, Stockbridge Public Library, 46 Main Street, Stockbridge, MA.
- Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 7 pm. Jones Library, 43 Amity Street, Amherst, MA. Books available for sale by Amherst Books.
- Friday, December 2, 7 pm. Odyssey Bookshop, Mount Holyoke College, 9 College St, South Hadley, MA.
- Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 5:30 pm. Hartford Public Library, 500 Main Street, Hartford, CT.
The Words in Transit podcast is now available from iTunes or at:
NEPR releases a new podcast every two weeks. Here’s the upcoming schedule for the next few weeks:
November 3: Episode 1: Words in Transit: Stories of Immigrants series overview.
November 17: Episode 2: Undocumented: featuring the stories of Angelica Merino Monge and Bryan Torres.
December 1: Episode 3: Education: featuring the stories of Woodlyn Joachim and Heap Sin.
December 15: Episode 4: Leaving Iraq: featuring the stories of Fouad Abood and Samir Khaleel.
December 29: Episode 5: Refugee Children: featuring the stories of Vira Douangmany Cage and Souvan-Malis Loeung.