The Watch for Me Campaign is a University-wide initiative to encourage everyone commuting the University’s sidewalks, roadways and other public areas to be alert, limit distractions, and be aware of everyone around them in order to create a safer environment for everyone on campus. The University wants everyone to be aware of the rules and laws that govern these areas and encourage its community members and visitors to take an active role in keeping themselves and others safe on campus.
- Walk on the sidewalk.
- Walk facing traffic if there is no sidewalk.
- Make eye contact with drivers when crossing the street (be sure that they see you).
- When crossing multiple lanes of traffic, be sure to stop and look at each lane to be sure another vehicle isn't passing one that has already stopped.
- Travel with vehicle traffic if possible (abide by the same rules that vehicles do).
- If traveling on the sidewalks yield to pedestrians (they have the right of way)
- Travel at a safe speed and always leave room to react.
- Walk your bike through crosswalks.
- When traveling the roads always slow down when approaching intersecting streets, driveways, and crosswalks.
- Observe the speed limits (the fastest speed limit on campus is 35mph).
- Do not be a distracted driver, don't text and drive, it's against the law!
- Wearing earbuds/headphones while driving is also against the law!
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalks.
- Always be aware, campus is a busy place and pedestrians and bicycles can come out of nowhere.
- Leave yourself extra time to commute to campus...don't be in a hurry.