Click here for the Financial Aid Services home pageSchool Code
'Dollars from Cents' © Mark Aplet. Image from
Financial Aid Basics
Types of Aid
Applying for Aid
Receiving Aid
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid
Summer Financial Aid
Forms and Publications
Students can find jobs here!
Helpful Links and Resources
Contact information and staff listing

Questions? We're here to help.

Undergraduate Aid
(413) 545-0801
Graduate Aid
(413) 545-0801

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Before your financial aid funds can be disbursed to your student account you must meet the disbursement criteria specific to the aid program(s) you have accepted. Detailed descriptions of these aid programs is available by clicking the Additional Award Information button on the award summary panel in SPIRE self-service. This will open the Guide to Understanding Financial Aid. You may also access information by clicking on the details button. Unless otherwise stated in the award summary panel, your financial aid funds are evenly split between the fall and spring terms.

Many grants require full time enrollment (twelve credits for undergraduates, nine credits for graduate students). However some grants will be adjusted by a pro-rated amount for less than full-time enrollment. You must be enrolled at least half time (six credits) for the William D. Ford Direct Loan or the Perkins Loan to disburse to your account and you must also have a valid promissory note and Entrance Interview Form (if required) on file.

Once you have resolved all eligibility issues (including verification and satisfactory academic progress) your financial aid for the upcoming term will be disbursed no earlier than ten days prior to the start of classes. Final adjustments due to changes in your credit load will occur approximately six weeks after the start of the term. Your financial aid will be credited to your UMass Amherst tuition and fees, room and board (if living on campus), and miscellaneous fees.

Excess Funds

If the amount of financial aid and other credits on your bill exceed tuition, fees, and other charges, you may receive a refund. You may use your refund for off-campus living expenses, indirect expenses, or any other education expenses for the term. You will either receive an excess check or you can arrange for direct deposit into your bank account through Excess Express.

Excess Fund Reminders

  • Before the Bursar’s Office may release your excess check, you must sign, complete, and return your Direct Loan Promissory Note to Financial Aid Services.
  • If you are receiving a Graduate Appointment or any other waivers not listed on your award letter, please report them to our office by completing the back of the award letter. This will reduce any delays in releasing your excess funds.
  • If you a graduate student on Program Fee, update your enrollment status (half time or full time) with the Graduate Records Office. The Bursar's Office will confirm your eligibility on line before releasing your excess funds.

Excess Express

You can arrange for the Bursar’s Office to deposit your excess funds directly into your bank account. Visit Excess Express on the Bursar’s Web site for details on the program and go to your SPIRE account to enroll.

Taxable Income

The funds that you receive from scholarships, benefits, fellowships, and grants that, combined, exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies, are considered taxable income. This includes Federal Pell Grants but not federal loans.

For example, any amount that you use to pay for room and board or any stipends for living expenses are taxable. You are responsible for your own record-keeping, so that you can complete your tax forms properly. You may want to keep a receipt file of educational purchases.

For more detailed information, consult the IRS, your income tax form instruction booklet, or your personal tax adviser. Visit the FinAid! Web site for more on financial aid and taxes.