Click here for the Financial Aid Services home pageSchool Code
'Dollars from Cents' © Mark Aplet. Image from
Financial Aid Basics
Types of Aid
Applying for Aid
Receiving Aid
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid
Summer Financial Aid
Forms and Publications
Students can find jobs here!
Helpful Links and Resources
Contact information and staff listing

Questions? We're here to help.

Undergraduate Aid
(413) 545-0801
Graduate Aid
(413) 545-0801

Non-Degree and Program Fee Loan Eligibility

Non-Degree Students

If you are a graduate non-degree student enrolled at least half time (six credits per term), you may be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan. To be eligible, you must have applied for admission to a graduate degree program or will be considered for admission at a later date. In addition, a graduate program director must verify your coursework as prerequisite for admission to a degree program. The graduate program director must send a letter (see below) to the Graduate Financial Aid Office to verify this information before you may be awarded financial aid as a non-degree student. Please note that after two consecutive semesters of non-degree status you must be enrolled in a degree-granting program to receive financial aid.

Sample Non-Degree Letter

Below is an example of the typical format that non-degree letters need to follow. Information you need to provide is in bold.

Please be advised that [student name & SPIRE ID#] is taking [list course names/course numbers] as a non-degree student for the fall/spring [choose one] term. The courses in which [he/she] is enrolled are considered prerequisites for admission to our graduate program. [He/she] plans to apply for admissions to the [program name] program in fall/spring [choose one] of [year].


Graduate Program Director
[Program Name]
[Direct contact phone number]
[Email address]

Program Fee Students

If you are a program fee student you may be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan if your credit hours of enrollment and research work on your degree requirements can be classified as equivalent to at least half time. The Graduate Registrar will certify your enrollment status upon notification from your graduate program director. Since there are no tuition charges for program fee students, loan funds may be used for indirect educational expenses and to pay for the program fee charge.