Click here for the Financial Aid Services home pageSchool Code
'Dollars from Cents' © Mark Aplet. Image from
Financial Aid Basics
Types of Aid
Applying for Aid
Receiving Aid
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid
Summer Financial Aid
Forms and Publications
Students can find jobs here!
Helpful Links and Resources
Contact information and staff listing

Questions? We're here to help.

Undergraduate Aid
(413) 545-0801
Graduate Aid
(413) 545-0801

Types of Aid

For Undergraduate Students

If you are an undergraduate, your financial aid package may be comprised of many different types of awards: grants, scholarships, tuition waivers, loans and work-study. These awards can range in size from hundreds to thousands of dollars. The type of aid you receive will depend on whether it is need-based (determined by your demonstrated financial need) or non need-based (determined by merit or other factors). To receive need-based aid, you must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

For Graduate Students

Most aid for graduate students is in the form of loans. Graduate students may also receive assistantships from the Graduate School or their department. A limited number of high need graduate students are awarded Federal Work-Study awards. These may be used as part of the funding source for hourly, non-assistantship positions, pending approval from the hiring department and the Graduate Financial Aid Office. A Federal Work-Study award does require students to carry a minimum of six credits and enroll in a degree-granting program.

Alternative Loans

Students considering educational private loans should apply only after they have applied for financial aid and received notification from the Financial Aid Office.

Preferred Lender Code of Conduct

Non-University Awards

If you receive educational financial aid from sources other than those awarded by UMass Amherst Financial Aid Services, you must report them. See Non-university Awards for more information on how to handle this additional aid.