MassTransfer FAQs

Review Some Frequently Asked Questions about MassTransfer

What are the MassTransfer application deadlines?

The Fall priority deadline is March 1 and the final deadline is April 15.  The Spring deadline is October 15.  Late applications will be processed without guarantee on a space-available basis, so early application is encouraged.

How do I apply for admission?

See the MassTransfer information on this website.

How do I apply for financial aid?

The priority financial aid deadline is March 1 for both the Fall and Spring semesters.  Students who apply for financial aid after this date, or who send a copy of their FAFSA to UMass Amherst after the deadline may not receive priority financial aid.  See the Financial Matters information on this website.

Can I apply for MassTransfer if I do not plan to graduate from my community college?

No, you must graduate from an approved MassTransfer Program in order to apply as a MassTransfer student.  Otherwise, you must apply as a regular transfer student using the Common Application.

How do I find out which associate degree programs are approved MassTransfer programs?

See the Department of Higher Education MassTransfer website.

Can I apply as a MassTransfer student if I already have a bachelor’s degree?

No, students with bachelor’s degrees are not eligible for MassTransfer admission.

Can I apply as a MassTransfer student if I previously enrolled at UMass Amherst?

No, students who previously enrolled at UMass Amherst as degree students are not eligible for MassTransfer and must apply for readmission through the UMass Amherst Registrar’s Office.

Do I have to wait to graduate before applying to UMass Amherst via MassTransfer?

Students who will graduate prior to enrollment at UMass Amherst are eligible to apply, even if they are in the process of completing their MassTransfer associate degree at the time of application.

What if I am graduating in the summer and want to enroll at UMass in the fall?

Some summer graduates may not be able enroll in the fall.  Since MassTransfer benefits are awarded upon graduation, if a student’s GPA at the time of application raises questions about whether s/he will graduate and meet MassTransfer requirements, then we may not be able to make an offer of admission until we verify graduation, which may be too late for fall enrollment.  If students are planning to graduate in the summer, we recommend that they complete their coursework in the first summer session.  We also recommend that students save elective courses for the summer, rather than critical courses (ex: composition, math), since those courses are MassTransfer Block requirements.

What if I attended other colleges before enrolling as a MassTransfer student at a community college?

You will need to submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities.  In addition, if you previously attended a four-year/residential school, we may also require you to provide a Transfer Disciplinary Report from the Dean of Students Office at that school.

Can I quality for MassTransfer benefits with an Additional Transfer Agreement (ATA)?

UMass Amherst also approves community college associate degree programs for Additional Transfer Agreements (ATA).  ATA students may apply using the MassTransfer application form and receive all the same benefits, with the exception of the MassTransfer Block, since those requirements are not standardly part of ATA programs.

Does MassTransfer guarantee admission to any major?

No, students graduating with a 2.5 or higher GPA are offered admission to the university; however, some majors require higher GPAs and/or prerequisite coursework.   The Department of Higher Education MassTransfer website lists the UMass Amherst colleges and schools affiliated with the various MassTransfer associate degree programs.

Which majors have higher GPAs and/or require prerequisite coursework?

All majors in the Isenberg School of Management, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Journalism, Kinesiology, and Psychology.  In addition, if student preparation for their selected major suggests they will not be successful in that major, we may not accept them to that major.  For example, if a student wants the biology major and has “C” and “D” grades in science courses, plus weak preparation in math, s/he may not be admitted to biology.

What courses should I take to fulfill UMass degree and major requirements?

Complete the degree requirements for your MassTransfer associate degree program, as identified by the community college.  If you have completed the MassTransfer Block (a part of every approved MassTransfer program), then you will have completed all of the UMass Amherst General Education requirements except diversity (which may be done at the community college or at UMass Amherst).

However, you will still need to complete college and major requirements.  It is important to use your MassTransferBlock and elective courses to start preparing for your UMass Amherst major.  See the Academic Advising information on this website.  

How many of my credits will transfer?

If you complete an approved MassTransfer program and complete the MassTransfer Block, a minimum of 60 semester credits will transfer to your UMass Amherst degree.  The maximum number of transferable credits is 75.

If my AP and/or CLEP credits are on my community college transcript, do I have to send a score report?

Yes, we will not be able to award those transfer credits without an official score report sent to us from College Board.