Applying to UMass Amherst as a MassTransfer Student

The MassTransfer Application

This application is only for Massachusetts community college students who have already or will have completed their associate degree under MassTransfer in an approved program of study.

In addition to standard personal and enrollment information, you will need to provide the following:

  • Your social security number (if applying for financial aid)
  • Parent/legal guardian contact info including first month/year of residency in MA, if applicable
  • Gap explanation: If there is a gap in your educational enrollment history since high school you will be asked to provide a gap explanation. This may take the form of a resume, a list of activities, or a statement; there is a 500 word limit.
  • Scholarship application (optional): A 300 word statement about your personal circumstances and involvement in activities outside of the classroom that have shaped you as an individual and your education are required. The scholarship application is only available within this MassTransfer application.

Ready to apply? Click here!


Dates and Deadlines

Fall Semester

Priority Date: March 1*

Final Deadline: April 15

Spring Semester

Deadline: October 15

*Priority date: All applications received and completed by the priority date will be given full consideration for admission to selective majors. Applications received or completed after the priority date will be reviewed on a space-available basis. Some programs may reach capacity prior to the final deadline.

Application Process

If you are a MassTransfer student that has already completed or will be completing your associate degree, follow these steps to apply:

  1. Submit a MassTransfer application
  2. Send in your official college transcripts: Request from all the colleges/universities you have attended that an official transcript be sent directly to Undergraduate Admissions regardless of whether credits are desired. Electronic transcripts submitted through eSCRIP-SAFE, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse are acceptable. Photocopies, emailed transcripts, and student copies are not considered acceptable.
  3. Apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Within the next two weeks of your application being submitted, you will receive an email with login information to your Student Status Page. Your Student Status Page will display any missing and/or newly requested materials, so be sure to check this regularly.

Once we receive your official transcript(s) and your application becomes complete, your application will be reviewed by our transfer admissions team. At that time, it may be determined that additional information is needed to make an admission decision. You will be notified of any additional materials needed on your Student Status Page. Additional materials we typically request include: mid-term or final grades, a transfer disciplinary report, or a gap explanation.

The Admission Decision

Typically, the time-frame from the time your application becomes complete to when you receive your decision is four to six weeks. Once it is ready, your admission decision will be on your Student Status Page.

Decisions are released:

  • For fall enrollment: March to May
  • For spring enrollment: October to November

We’re here to help!

Connect with a UMass Amherst transfer counselor by choosing your community college representative on the right-side of this page. You can also email or call (413) 545-0222 and your message will be directed to a counselor.

Students who fall into any of the following categories may not qualify for MassTransfer and should refer to our Applicant Categories webpage for application information: (1) dual enrollment students, (2) previous UMass Amherst degree-seeking students, (3) students who have matriculated into another four-year college since completing an associate degree, (4) students who have earned a U.S. or international bachelor’s degree, (5) students interesting in an online program, and (5) transfer students who are not completing a MassTransfer program prior to their intended enrollment term.