MassTransfer Graduates

MassTransfer applicants receive priority application processing with the following benefits:

  • Applicants may submit an abbreviated application form (download below).
  • No application fee is required.
  • No essay is required.
  • MassTransfer applications are processed ahead of other transfer applications.
  • Applicants are not required to submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.

How to Apply

  1. Download a MassTransfer application form. Complete the application form and send it to UMass Amherst at:
    Transfer Admissions
    Undergraduate Admissions Office
    UMass Amherst
    37 Mather Drive
    Amherst, MA 01003-9291
  2. Arrange for an official community college transcript to be sent from the community college registrar's office to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at UMass Amherst. Unofficial community colleges transcripts, including hand-delivered or student-printed transcripts, are not acceptable. You will also need to send a final transcript when you complete your associate degree.
  3. Send official transcripts from all  other colleges attended, including UMass Continuing Education, to insure that all transfer coursework is evaluated for degree requirements.
  4. Apply by the appropriate deadline date!
    Fall Enrollment: March 1(priority deadline), April 15 (final deadline)
    Spring Enrollment: October 15
  5. Meet the Financial Aid Priority Deadline. Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1, but before February 15, in order to meet the priority filing date of March 1. Remember to list UMass Amherst on your form, using our school code: 002221.

Go to Financial Matters for more on financial aid.

Note: Some MassTransfer applicants may be asked to submit additional materials (ex: mid-term grades) after an initial admission review.  We also encourage nontraditional applicants to submit a resume, since it is very helpful to our admission review process.

Former UMass Amherst degree-seeking students and students who have already earned a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for MassTransfer. Former UMass Amherst degree-seeking students may instead file an application for readmission through the UMass Amherst Registrar’s Office. Telephone: 413-545-0555


If you complete an approved MassTransfer associate degree program with a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA, you are guaranteed admission to UMass Amherst through MassTransfer, as long as you apply by the published application deadlines(above) and also submit required materials upon request.  Late applications will also be processed without guarantee on a space-available basis.  Exception: Students who do not have good academic, fiscal, disciplinary status at all previously attended colleges, and/or criminal history may not be guaranteed MassTransfer benefits.

NOTE: All entering juniors are also required to declare a major and then be admissible to that major in order to be accepted to UMass Amherst.

To determine which associate degree programs qualify for MassTransfer, visit the MassTransfer Web site.

Note: Some UMass Amherst majors may require a higher GPA and/or prerequisite coursework. For more information, look up your MassTransfer associate degree program and how it works with UMass Amherst majors on the MassTransfer Web site.

Transfer Credits

If you graduate with an approved MassTransfer associate degree, you are guaranteed a minimum of 60 semester transfer credits. Please note that AP and/or CLEP credits used for the associate degree may not be applied towards the UMass Amherst degree until we receive official score reports.

Degree Requirements

If you qualify for admission and graduate with an approved MassTransfer associate degree program (which includes the MassTransfer Block requirements), then you will have completed all of your UMass Amherst General Education requirements, with the exception of the UMass Amherst diversity requirement. (However, many community college graduates will have taken a course fulfilling the diversity requirement at the community college as part of the MassTransfer program.)

You will still need to complete your college/school and major requirements, including the junior writing and integrative experience courses.