Financial Matters

Massachusetts community college students receive priority financial aid processing and receive financial aid decisions before other transfer students. You are encouraged to apply early for financial aid so that you can make a decision about enrollment in time to register early for UMass Amherst courses.

The amount of financial aid students receive at community colleges will not be the same as the amount they receive at four-year colleges. The increased cost of bachelor’s degree programs may mean increased financial aid eligibility.

Key Financial Aid Reminders

  • Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, but before February 15, in order to meet the priority filing date of March 1.
  • You must list UMass Amherst on your form, using our school code: 002221.
  • If you are selected for verification, it could delay your financial aid decision. Therefore, you should apply for financial aid as early as possible.

Tuition Advantage Program

If you are accepted as a Joint Admissions or MassTransfer graduate with a 3.0 or higher graduation GPA, then you are eligible for the Tuition Advantage Program and will receive a 33% state tuition waiver if you meet all of the requirements below. In addition, UMass Amherst will waive the remaining 67% of in-state tuition so that you will receive a full tuition waiver by enrolling at UMass Amherst, if you meet all of the requirements below:

  1. Attend a state institution no later than one year after graduation
  2. Enroll continuously until graduation
  3. Maintain a 3.0 or higher UMass Amherst GPA after enrollment

Benefits are for up to two years for full-time students and may be adjusted to a longer period for part-time students. (Students who enroll in online degree programs through the UMass Amherst Division of Continuing and Professional Educations are not eligible for Tuition Advantage Program benefits.)

Please note that the tuition waiver is for tuition only and does not include a waiver of fees.

Scholarships

Community College Academic Honors Scholarship

This scholarship was developed to reward and recognize Joint Admissions or MassTransfer graduates of the Massachusetts community colleges for meritorious academic achievement. Up to fifteen scholarships are available each year (both fall and spring admits are considered). Each award is $2,500 per year for full-time students (pro-rated for part-time students) until the student completes their first bachelor's degree requirements at UMass Amherst. Students with a 3.5 or higher GPA at the time of application are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Upon application, eligible students will be mailed a scholarship application. Scholarship awards are made by a scholarship committee.

Community Scholarships

These scholarships are awarded to Joint Admissions or MassTransfer graduates who are low income and/or are first generation college attendees. Up to fifteen scholarships are available each year (both fall and spring admits are considered). Each award is $5,000 per year for full-time students (pro-rated for part-time students) until the student completes their first bachelor's degree requirements at UMass Amherst. Students with a 3.5 or higher GPA at the time of application are eligible to apply for the scholarship. Upon application, eligible students will be mailed a scholarship application. Scholarship awards are made by a scholarship committee.

Student Employment

The Student Employment Office (SEO) helps students find jobs on or off campus, including work-study or non-work-study positions. You will find job listings, as well as other important employment information on the SEO Web site. Listings are updated daily. Students also find jobs through Auxiliary Services (which includes the Campus Center, hotel, and dining commons), the libraries, UMass Transit, and Residence Hall security.

Work-Study

Work-study is a form of need-based federal financial aid. As with all need-based financial aid, you will need to submit the FAFSA to be eligible (see above). The program provides students with part-time employment opportunities in a variety of on- and off-campus jobs, with awards (maximum earnings) that range from $1,500-$1,800. If you receive work-study as part of your financial aid package you will be responsible for your own job search through the SEO.

Financial Links