Financial Matters

Massachusetts community college students receive priority financial aid processing and receive financial aid decisions before other transfer students. You are encouraged to apply early for financial aid so that you can make a decision about enrollment in time to register early for UMass Amherst courses.

The amount of financial aid students receive at community colleges will not be the same as the amount they receive at four-year colleges. The increased cost of bachelor’s degree programs may mean increased financial aid eligibility.

Key Financial Aid Reminders

  • Complete the FAFSA by the priority filing date of March 1 for both Fall and Spring semesters.
  • You must list UMass Amherst on your form, using our school code: 002221.
  • The name on your application for admission must exactly match the name on your FAFSA and the name on your social security card in order for you to receive a financial aid award.

Tuition Advantage Program

To be eligible for the TAP tuition credit students must graduate from an approved Massachusetts community college MassTransfer associate degree program with a 3.0 or higher grade point average (GPA). And, within one year of graduating from that community college you must enroll as a degree-seeking student at UMass Amherst.

The TAP tuition credit is guaranteed only for your first two semesters at UMass Amherst. To maintain the TAP tuition credit, you must earn a UMass Amherst GPA of 3.0 or better in your first two semesters. TAP is given for a maximum of four consecutive semesters. If you need your benefits to extend beyond four semesters, you must contact a transfer counselor in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to discuss a possible extension.

Students are eligible for only one tuition credit per semester. If you are eligible for another credit (i.e. veteran’s benefit; dependent of a state employee; the Adams scholarship), the UMass Amherst Bursar’s Office will choose the one that benefits you the most. The TAP tuition credit may not be used for Division of Continuing and Professional Education courses and/or degree programs, such as University Without Walls or other online degree programs. Students in Additional Transfer Agreement programs may also be considered for TAP.


Student Employment

The Student Employment Office (SEO) helps students find jobs on or off campus, including work-study or non-work-study positions. You will find job listings, as well as other important employment information on the SEO Website. Listings are updated daily. Students also find jobs through Auxiliary Services (which includes the Campus Center, hotel, and dining commons), the libraries, UMass Transit.



Work-study is a form of need-based federal financial aid. As with all need-based financial aid, you will need to submit the FAFSA to be eligible (see above). The program provides students with part-time employment opportunities in a variety of on- and off-campus jobs, with awards (maximum earnings) that range from $1,500-$1,800. If you receive work-study as part of your financial aid package you will be responsible for your own job search through the SEO.


Financial Links