University Health Services header
Using UHS
Health & Wellness
Insurance & Billing
About You
About Us

Questions? We're here to help.

Call (413) 577-5000

International Student

Paying for healthcare

The United States does not have a national health insurance program; individuals are financially responsible for their own health care. Many people pay for their care through health insurance.

In Massachusetts, college students must have primary health insurance. International students will automatically be enrolled in the SHBP. However, those already enrolled in an employer-based health insurance plan from the United States may be eligible to waive the SHBP. Students seeking a waiver must complete an individual insurance plan review before the end of the Add/Drop period.

When you travel

UHS' Travel Medicine Clinic has information and vaccinations to help keep you healthy while traveling. To learn more, call (413) 577-5124.

Health information in your language

The Medline Plus website offers health information, translated from English into many other languages.