UMass SealUniversity of Massachusetts Amherst - 2003/04 Guide to Undergraduate Programs
[ Home ][ Undergraduate Admissions, Expenses, & Financial Aid ][ Academic Information ][ Schools & Colleges ]
[ Departments & Programs ][ Other Academic Opportunities & Services ][ General Information ][ Site Index ]
Department & Program Listings
[ Departments & Programs A-D ]
[ Departments & Programs E-L ]
[ Departments & Programs M-R ]
[ Departments & Programs S-Z ]
[ Departments & Programs - Show All ]

Special Information

Stockbridge School

The Stockbridge School offers six associate degree programs of study in agriculture and related fields. Applicants must be graduates of accredited high schools or have a GED, and must have a solid background in English, mathematics, and science. Serious interest, demonstrated through related work experience and/or the type of courses taken in high school or at other educational institutions, is taken into consideration. Additional information is available from the Stockbridge School, 115 Stockbridge Hall, tel. (413) 545-2222.

New England Regional Student Program

Students who are legal residents of any of the other NEW ENGLAND states (ME, NH, VT, RI, CT) may be eligible for admission under the auspices of the New England Regional Student Program. The NERSP provides an opportunity to earn a degree in approved curricula not offered at the resident’s own state institutions. Eligible students (entering freshmen or transfers) are charged the in-state tuition rate (plus 50%), so long as they remain in a major open to them under the NERSP. The $50 out-of-state application fee must be paid, however. For more information, contact the Admissions Office or the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111.

Part-time Students

Part-time students are those enrolled in fewer than 12 credits per semester. International students on visas are not eligible for part-time status. Students seeking part-time enrollment in the Stockbridge School must contact the Stockbridge School Office.

Applicants with Disabilities

Any information provided by an applicant is confidential and will not adversely affect the University’s admission decision.

For more information on services provided to students with disabilities, contact one of the following offices: Disability Services (includes services for students with learning disabilities), 231 Whitmore Administration Building, tel. 545-0892 or, or Psychological Disability Services, 119 Berkshire House, tel. 545-0333.


Veterans are considered under regular admissions policies. All veterans may submit a copy of the DD214 or 2586 to verify potential credits earned for military experience. Do not submit the original, as this document will be needed at a later date to establish eligibility for GI Bill benefits. If still on active duty, submit the copy when you are released. For more information, contact the Dean of Students Office, tel. (413) 545-2684.

International Students

International students are eligible for fall admission only unless they are currently enrolled in a U.S. college. TOEFL scores, a sponsor statement, and a bank statement must be submitted.

International students not currently studying in the United States must file an International Student Application, available from the Undergraduate Admissions Office. The international student application deadline is January 15.