We admit students into our MFA programs 2 out of every 3 years. Currently, we are in our off year. Our next admission deadline is January 15, 2014, for the class to enter Fall of 2014.
Scene Design and Technology
A well conceived and executed design rewards the
performer and audience with the physical world for a story that did not exist
before the creative team came together. That’s why we emphasize
a collaborative commitment to storytelling in our curriculum.
Working on departmental productions and on theoretical projects helps develop mastery of the scenic design process by focusing on:
- Design for all aspects of theater, opera, video and film.
- Dramatic use of scenic space.
- Practical applications of visual research.
- Presentation techniques – storyboards and models.
- Rendering and drafting by hand and CAD.
- Portfolio development.
- Puppetry and object theater
- History of architecture and decorative arts.
- Scenic painting techniques for theater and film.
- Scenic applications of video.
These topics are fully explored in Scenic Design and Technology Studio or in special classes over a three-year course of studies. Courses in Scenic Construction Techniques and Technical Direction, give students a unique opportunity to bring together artistic and project management skills in both design and technology.
The program features individual mentorship by professionals. It prepares students for careers in the theatrical profession or academia.