UMass Amherst is a CIRTL Institution. CIRTL is the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (pronounced SIR-TUL, more or less). CIRTL comprises numerous Research-1 institutions with a shared goal of improving the preparation of STEM graduate students and postdocs for careers that include college and university teaching.
CIRTL Opportunities for Grad Students and Postdocs
UMass graduate students and postdocs have two different kinds of opportunities:
- An array of online offerings that only students and postdocs at network institutions can take. These include full-semester courses, workshops, coffee hours, and the like. They are taught by members of each Network institution and hosted by CIRTL Central at UW Madison. These offerings are free to graduate students and postdocs, although the number of participants from each campus is limited. Credit can be arranged here at UMass.
- An array of on-campus events every semester. These will include short workshops and longer series.
CITRL participants at a recent interactive workshop
CIRTL Personnel at UMass Amherst
- Gabriela Weaver, Director of the Institute for Teaching Excellence & Faculty Development (TEFD)
- Barbara Krauthamer, Dean of the Graduate School
- Elizabeth Jakob, Department of Psychology
- Tilman Wolf, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Sarah Pociask, Institute for Teaching Excellence & Faculty Development (TEFD)