Welcome to the UMass Amherst Sustainability, Innovation & Engagement Fund
The fund was established in August 2013 to foster a strong culture of sustainability on our campus by incentivizing students, faculty, and staff involvement. The fund will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until all funds are rewarded. Any student faculty, staff, student group, academic class, or faculty/staff and student team can propose a sustainability project. Campus members will be limited to receiving one grant per year. CURRENT AVAILABLE FUNDS: $50,000
The fund will accept proposals for two types of projects:
Type 1: Projects that have a quantifiable economic payback and will refresh the fund over time
Type 2: Projects that don't have quantifiable payback but engage the campus community in reducing environmental impact or enriching student experience.
Proposals will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- ALL proposals must demonstrate how the project will support activities that significantly engage the campus community and lead to progress on campus sustainability goals (Resource: Climate Action Plan v2.0)
- Type 1 project proposals (those with tangible cost savings) must have a payback of five years or less.
- Type 2 project proposals (those without tangible cost savings but have a social value) must demonstrate how the project engages the campus community in reducing environmental impact, enriches student experience, adds aesthetic value to campus, creates social equity, or increases environmental awareness and comprehension.
- All proposals must demonstrate a long-term value to the University.
- No proposal may exceed a quarter of the current value of the total fund. Current fund availability displayed above. Proposals cannot pay for faculty, staff, or student salaries or wages, or for the purchasing of carbon offsets or off-site renewable energy.
Deadline for Proposal Applications: Monday, November 11th, 2013
All proposals will be reviewed by a committee of students, faculty, and staff. You will be contacted once your application is received and may be asked to meet with the committee for an initial review.
For any questions, please contact:
Campus Sustainability Manager
To apply you can fill out an online application form.*
*This is a google form and cannot be saved before completing, so make sure you have all of your information with you before beginning the application.