VISA GUIDELINES FOR SUMMER COLLEGE STUDENTS
UMass Amherst Summer College programs are full-time; as such all non-immigrant students are required to obtain the appropriate lawful immigration status prior to enrolling in a full-time program.
The B1/B2 visa or visa waiver program is not suitable for full-time study in the U.S.
We cannot accept international checks for any fee payments.
For specific application requirements, visit the APPLY page.
Important: the name on your application materials must match the name on your passport.
UMASS AMHERST SUMMER COLLEGE VISA FEE
The total VISA processing fee for non-immigrant, non-US residents/passport holders is $350 (USD)
The fee includes:
- The issuance and processing of the certificate of eligibility for F1 student status (I-20)
- The SEVIS fee to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Express delivery of the complete packet with visa application instructions.
Please note: If you must withdraw from a program at any point after the visa process is initiated, the visa fee of $350 will not be refunded.
Deadlines for Documentation – UMass Amherst Summer College 2014
If your program begins on or before :
Your complete application should be received by:
APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS:
1. Submit a complete application via our online application program, including all required documentation. Please ensure the name on your application matches the name on your passport.
Please ensure that you correctly answer the questions regarding your: City and Country of Birth, Country of Citizenship, Country of Permanent Residence (for the previous 24months).
2. Await an admissions decision
3. If admitted you will be sent your acceptance letter and registration materials by email along with a link to pay the UMass Amherst Visa Fee of $350. The UMass Amherst Visa fee includes the processing of your I-20, SEVIS fee and international delivery of your documentation. The visa process will not begin until confirmation of your online payment of the Visa Fee ($350) is received.
4. You will receive an email from the International Programs Office with delivery tracking information, scanned copies of your I-20, SEVIS receipt and visa instructions.
5. Go to http://usembassy.gov to make your visa appointment. Check the embassy site
- Valid Passport
- UMass Amherst Summer College admission letter
- Proof of financial support
- Proof that you have close ties to your country and intend to return
7. Alert us as soon as your visa has been approved.
8. Pay UMass Amherst Summer College program fees in full and return completed registration documents
9. Make travel arrangements and inform the Summer College office of your plans. Please feel free to consult the Summer College office if you require any assistance.
Health Insurance Requirement
International students must purchase travel/internalional health insurance covering the duration of their stay at Summer College. A copy of your insurance policy, in English, should be submitted along with your Summer College registration packet.
For Canadian Residents (Only)
Although you do not need an F-1 visa to enter the United States in F-1 status, you will need an I-20, and should follow the instructions above for obtaining that document, the SEVIS fee is included in our visa fee. You must present your SEVIS receipt and I-20 at the U.S.—Canada land border or at the airport for lawful entry to the U.S. as an F-1 student. Please make sure at the Port of Entry that you receive an I-94 arrival/departure record (small white card) stamped “F-1 D/S” (D/S – Duration of Status).
If you have general questions about all other types of visas, please consult the U.S. Department of State visa page where you will find links to specific consular locations and other helpful information at http://travel.state.gov.
At http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html you will find a description of the F-1 student visa.
If you have any questions relating to visa matters, please contact the Summer College Office
Tel: 001-413-577-2112 Monday through Friday from 9:00am until 5:00pm EST or by
Or the International Programs Office
Tel: 001 - 413 - 545 - 2710/2843
Fax: 001 - 413 - 545 - 1201