Summer Engineering Institute Full Description
The Summer Engineering Institute is a multi-faceted program that allows students to explore how engineers envision creative, practical solutions that benefit the everyday lives of people and the communities in which they live. Students will be exposed to selected topics in chemical, civil, computer systems, electrical, environmental, industrial, and mechanical engineering.
These areas will be examined through faculty-led presentations, hands-on, guided discovery, and a design project. Presentations will be made by practicing professionals and university faculty members. Students will attend field trips geared toward technical learning, team building, and enrichment activities; they will also tour active engineering labs on campus in order to experience current research projects in a variety of engineering fields. Finally, students will participate in group activities, research projects, and presentations.
The course will be conducted in one of the many UMass Amherst computer laboratories, which offers a modern computer station for each student and state-of-the-art instructional technology.
Students are expected to develop skills in:
- Engineering Design
- Computer software (including AutoCAD and ArcGIS)
Students will also come away with:
- an increased awareness of engineering and career opportunities;
- an improved understanding of the methods of application of the important skills associated with a successful career in engineering;
- an increased level of knowledge about some of the challenges associated with different branches of engineering; and
- a better understanding of which pathways in higher education will prepare them for engineering-related careers.