Human Health and Movement Full Description
Explore exercise science, health, movement research and fitness in this two-week hands-on program.This activity-based curriculum will introduce the concepts that students in the field of Kinesiology will need to master to become certified fitness professionals. Participants will have short lecture sessions to introduce testing techniques such as blood pressure, body composition, and flexibility and will then practice their skills with their peers. Each student will learn how to develop a health profile by completing their own and will have a personal trainer assist in designing and implementing an individualized exercise program that will help them achieve their fitness goals.
Lab experiments will provide student-centered, team-based learning experiences and some labs will include off-site training. Hiking will allow us to study the effects of altitude on heart rate and blood pressure. Biking on the Norwottuck Rail Trail will introduce combining recreational fitness with cardiovascular training. Water activities will include water jogging, water aerobics, and water strength training. Students do not need to be skilled swimmers, but comfortable in the deep water with a floatation device.
The nutrition component of this intensive will include identifying foods that fuel the body for effective training, and a creative cooking competition. Students will learn American Red Cross CPR/AED and will be eligible for certification.
Throughout this program, students can expect to:
- Gain a working knowledge of muscles and bones.
- Explore their fitness levels through testing.
- Develop a personalized fitness plan.
- Identify current fitness trends and establish a practice for safe exercise.
- Experience nutrition through menu planning and healthy eating.
- Apply the principles of health and fitness to create a lifetime plan for healthy living.
- Understand the future pathway for education and career opportunities in the field of Kinesiology.
Important Safety Information
Due to the physical activity involvement in this program, students will be required to complete a medical health history and informed consent prior to attending this program. Participants under the age of 18 will need a parent signature for the informed consent.