The Campus Recreational Center has group fitness classes (including Zumba, spin, Pilates, and yoga), gym equipment, a running/walking track, swimming, intramural sports, and a wellness center with a meditation corner. Weekly meditation classes are held at Campus Center and additional yoga classes are held at the Newman Center.
Need a mental get away? UMass Amherst has a number of non-denominational indoor and outdoor spaces suitable for contemplative practices, meditation, and relaxation. .
Even if you feel powerless over the things causing you stress, you can still have control over your lifestyle, thoughts, emotions, and how you solve problems. The Learning Resource Center or your academic advisor can help you find strategies to cope with stressful coursework.
Mindfulness workshops and weekly meditation sessions can change how you react to stress.
Other ways to self-care for stress include:
- Make time in your schedule for exercise. Visit the Rec Center for a good workout, fitness classes, running or walking on the track, swimming, or intramural sports.
- Pause during your day to sit quietly in a peaceful spot.
- Get some help with managing anxiety. Join a support group or by attend a drop in session with a counselor at the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH).
- Try meditation at Campus Center or yoga at the Newman Center.
- Download a mood or well-being app.
- Learn some sleep hacks.