This review is an important part of creating a unified campus strategy for student success and supporting UMass Amherst through its next chapter of development. The guideposts for this next phase of institutional evolution are outlined in the executive summary of ‘Innovation and Impact: Renewing the Promise of the Public Research University’.
Although the timeline for this review is very compressed, we are committed to ensuring that this process is as inclusive as possible. Dr.Linda Kuk served as the Chancellor’s consultant for this review. Dr. Kuk visited campus on October 3rd - 4th 2013 to meet with internal and external stakeholders. The resulting insights and perspectives informed the recommendations in her preliminary report. In January 2014, Chancellor Subbaswamy directed me to proceed with implementing Model Three Option One. Embracing this model has three significant advantages for us: 1) it allows us to maximize our resources to provide our students with excellent programs and services; 2) as a functionally aligned area, we emerge with greater capacity to be a strong partner to other campus stakeholders; and 3) it situates SACL more consistently with Chancellor Subbaswamy’s campus strategic plan.
Please take time to view the organizational chart that introduces the new cluster areas for Student Affairs and Campus Life. I invite you to share your thoughts with me or your SALT leader directly either via email or in person. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 545-2300.
Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life
SACL Reorganization Next Steps
- Identify initial clusters
- Obtain feedback on cluster composition
- Finalize clusters
- Create open feedback communication channels
- Establish success criteria/goals/timelines
- Host half day individual cluster retreats
- Form staff implementation advisory group
June 2014 – December 2014
- Compile implementation plans from each cluster retreat
- Integrate cluster plans into an Executive Area plan
- Review roles and responsibilities within cluster
- Identify needed resources (e.g. new staff positions)
- Finalize Executive Area implementation plan and share widely
- Implement work design and balance workload issues
- Develop an internal organizational assessment process to monitor progress toward redesign goals