Which program—the MPPA or the MPP—is right for me?

Master of Public Policy (MPP)

The MPP program integrates theoretical learning with multiple opportunities for practical applications, and educates individuals to become public and nonprofit sector leaders, as well as effective advocates for social change. Students are only required to be in residence for one year.  The 37-credit interdisciplinary Master of Public Policy (MPP) program is one of the most affordable master’s degrees in public policy in New England.

There are two ways to complete the Master of Public Policy Program. Anyone who has completed their undergraduate degree by May of the year they apply (so college seniors who are graduating in May would be eligible).  We will happily accept applications from students in Massachusetts, around the U.S. and around the world.  The program allows students to complete the MPP degree in one year by taking up to 12 credits of online courses in the first summer (and may include the three credit internship requirement), while finishing the remainder of course credits during two semesters in residence. 

You are eligible to apply for the accelerated Master of Public Policy if you are a current junior at UMass or at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke or Smith college and would like to earn a graduate degree in one year after completing your bachelor’s degree.  In the accelerated program, students can begin taking graduate courses during their senior year that will double count towards their undergrauate degree AND the MPP.

Master of Public Policy and Administration (MPPA)

The Master of Public Policy and Administration would be the right degree for you if you already have an undergraduate degree, have been working for a few years or more, and are interested in a career in public service. Most MPPA students have at least two years of work experience; some have less experience but have had an internship or other demonstrated commitment to public service.  The MPPA gives you the opportunity to specialize in a policy area you are interested in by taking more electives both within SPP and across UMASS.  Students in the MPPA are also required to complete a Capstone.

Students interested in dual degrees (with Education, Public Health, Business or Planning) should apply for the MPPA.