Visit UMass Amherst Career Services and check out the handouts in the downloads section to the right for guidance on resume writing, preparing for an interview, and searching for internships and jobs. Sign up for Career Connect to get the most up-to-date information on internship and job opportunities.
Please note: Career Service walk-in advising hours are Monday-Friday, 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm. Please call 413-545-2224 to schedule a walk-in during the summer.
Places to look for a public health internship or job
- Public Health Newsletters, which are sent to your UMass email on a weekly basis
- Check the SPHHS Workforce Development page for internships, volunteer experiences, and other job opportunities. The site is updated frequently – stop back often!
- APHA Website- Scroll down to “Public Health Career Mart.” No membership necessary.
- Career Connect and Career Services
- LinkedIn- Create your own LinkedIn account, join public health groups, grow your network.
- Idealist- Find volunteer opportunities, nonprofit jobs, and internships focused on social change.
- SOPHAS Connect- Find jobs and internships in health education and promotion
- Find your own (especially good if you are looking for one over the summer in your hometown). Networking is very important. Your hometown, parents, friends of the family, local hospitals, public health departments, and social service organizations are all good sources for internship sites as well as informational interviews and career “shadowing” experiences. Many people are interested in mentoring and supporting young people in the field. It is important to make personal connections.
- For a more extensive list of other public health job and internship resources, see the Now What? handout in the far right download column.